Friday, November 03, 2006

Steady as she goes...

I took a little rest yesterday, which was good for the knee.  More by good luck than good management though. I had all my gear at work and was going to run home, but 3/4 of the way through getting changed I discovered that my "shorts" were in fact a singlet! Doh! It was only going to be a gentle run anyway...

So it is a holiday in Japan today! I had the luxury of sleeping in a bit and then getting up and heading out for my tempo run. I ran to Komazawa Park, knee feeling quite alright, and then as soon as I turned into the park put the foot down and reeled off four laps ( 8.6 km total) at tempo pace that looked something like this: 
   Lap time    Pace    Hrmax    Hravg    
   0:08:32   0:03:58     84%        81%    
   0:08:21   0:03:53     87%        84%    
   0:08:14   0:03:50     89%        87%    
   0:08:19   0:03:52     90%        88%

That's pretty much how a tempo run should look, with the rising heart rate starting to push into anaerobic territory in the latter half. And I finished it feeling comfortably fatigued and just had a reasonably relaxed run home. I wore my light shoes (Adidas Adizer CS) purchased the other day that I intend to wear in the marathon; they went well. So, everything is looking pretty good. Just have to be careful not to completely stuff up this knee while getting in the last little top-up of heavy work over the next few days, then start backing off the quantity and dealing with the head games that are the taper.

2 comments:

Ewen said...

That's a good tempo run Steve. Don't tell Clairie you're in the 4:12 ballpark for a marathon or she'll really get excited ;)

Thanks for your comments on my Slow Race Test. I was thinking of modifying it slightly - doing a 400m 'warm-up' to get the HR at 84% as I cross the 'start line' and then keep it there.

For me, that HR works well, as a slight slowing or acceleration adjusts the HR by 1 or 2 beats and I know I can maintain the 84% throughout the test. I found myself having to slow a fair bit in the third km to keep the HR down. My splits were 5:26, 5:41 and 5:50.

It's probably also a test of 'running economy', as changes to form can affect the speed.

Anonymous said...

Ohhhh, you should be prepared tomorrow's thing before sleep as you recommend me!

Thank you for your support, I had a good running in the Palace, it would be good effective training and made us strong!