Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Below par

I didn't run yesterday, Monday, because well, it is really time to start tapering. And my hip was sore. Somehow I managed to accidentally run more than 90 km last week. I am not that worried about that except for these issues in my left leg/hip and the general bit of run-down feeling that I have. Gareth told me on Sunday that it was a mistake running 30 km, and Tesso registered some surprise. Really though, I don't think that distance in itself is a worry 11 days from the marathon because I am normally pretty much recovered by the Wednesday after a Sunday long run, and that includes with a reasonably hard run on Tuesday mornings. So I think my judgement was OK under normal circumstances, but given the bit of fatigue and back/hip niggles, maybe it would have been better to back off a bit. I checked my log from last year after hearing these comments and discovered that I ran 25 km 10 days out last year, so it is about on par I suppose.

I chose sleep over running this morning but took my gear to work. I took a few doses of Ibuprofen yesterday and the hip did feeI better today, even though other niggles are still hanging around. What I really need is a masseur on staff. Anyway, I managed to get out at lunch time and run just under 10 km. About 4 km of it varied from very slow (along the streets of Kojimachi, crowded as they were with lolling freshly-sated pedestrians) to easy. The other 5 km, a lap of the imperial Palace, I tried to maintain marathon pace. In general I think my heart rate was a little high for the pace. So whether it is running induced fatigue or lurgy-fighting induced fatigue I'm not certain. I still finished feeling fairly fresh though, so it is not all doom and gloom. All I know is that I have to try to get more rest and keep the length of my runs down. So tomorrow night I'll probably just aim for 12 km with maybe 8 km at tempo pace, provided I feel spritely and pain free.

5 comments:

2P said...

Time to just cruise mate the work is done - well done.

Tesso said...

Hope it is just running induced fatigue, that's overcome with a bit of rest.

Gees, just 8 sleeps!

Clairie said...

You didn't run and you slept in this morning....someone has stolen our Stephen!!!

Take it easy now mate. We all want this sub 3hr so don't go doing anything to jeapordise that. We need you fresh and in one piece at that start line.

Time to relax, and remind yourself of all the hard training you have done when you feel like going out there - just think of the pain and agony of some of those runs and have a coffee whilst you visualise crossing the line.....2:58


Now go garlic up.

Robert Song said...

With only eight days to go you should definitely be taking things easy now. Real easy. It is hard to do I know but is worth the (non) effort.

Ewen said...

The odd day here and there of total rest wouldn't go astray at this stage Steve - especially given your teetering condition.

I remember the example of Joan Benoit having lots of time off due to injury prior to her '84 trials race.