Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Second recovery run

I got up at 5:30 this morning and after a minimum of vacillating headed out the door for my second recovery run. I have an 8-km loop from home that I do from time to time and decided that would be an appropriate distance. I had no particular thoughts about intensity other than to do it at a comfortable pace. Right from the start though I was moving quicker than I would have expected and my legs felt pretty good.  I ended up running the 8.2 km in 38:17, or 4:40/km. I divide the course into four splits and none of them was slower than 5:00/km and my average heart rate was 131. My legs started to fatigue somewhat in the last couple of km, but this is a really excellent rate of recovery from the marathon.

It is the 5-km time trial at the track tomorrow night. I haven't done one for absolutely ages, so maybe it wouldn't be a bad idea to do that, and in keeping with the low-volume approach for the this week, not much more than that other than a km or two to warm up and cool down. I'm planning to put more emphasis on speedwork over the next few weeks anyway, so some kind of time trial, 3k or 5k, for benchmarking and monitoring progress would be a good idea. Given that nobody around these parts does 3k time trials, I guess it will have to be the 5k.

4 comments:

Tesso said...

Gee, a 5k time trial just a week after a marathon - very brave. Hope you're not planning to take it too seriously. You could always offer to pace somebody, you seem to be pretty good at that.

Ewen said...

Well, you could always stop after 7.5 laps.

You seem to have recovered really well. I wouldn't 'bust a gut' (i.e. kick hard over the last 300 metres). Even pace should be OK.

Samurai Running said...

Thanks for your message Stephen.

I have only one good running mate in Tokyo and I hope to run with him cause we run about the same pace.

As there are a few loops on this course I hope to see you running
back towards us slower runners. I'll give you a call out and do my best to try and catch you ;)

But after I'll like to meet you and your mates as they sound like pretty good people.

Robert Song said...

A 5k Time Trial seems a risky move at this point. Surely you can wait a few weeks until you are fully recovered.

This makes interesting reading:

http://www.halhigdon.com/postmarathon/zeroweek0.html