Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Tamako Ekiden


Today, Tuesday, was a national holiday in Japan. On this day every year a low-key ekiden is held near a reservoir called Lake Tama, or Tama-ko if you prefer. We scraped together a couple of mens teams and a couple of womens teams. The better of the two women's eams was pretty good actually, since it took second place! Congratulations Mika, Yoshiko, Rie (two days after a savage trail run in Hong Kong), and Satohi.

I had a reasonable run, covering the 5.75 (or thereabouts) km in
22:34. Teruyuki (aka terry) was the only one to go under that time on the day, so I am not unhappy with it even though the pace seeemed a little slower than the effort felt on some km splits. But to be honest, it was not a race that meant anything much to me except a good day out with the Namban gang.

In the afternoon I got out for a 9-km run at lower aerobic pace.

3 comments:

2P said...

So what was the holiday for? I didn't think they went in for that kind of thing in Japan ;-)

Stephen Lacey said...

I don't know what the holiday was for. They come and go without much fanfare. Occasionally I become aware of the reson, but not always. The March 21 holiday is one that I don't know the reason for.

However, after yesterday it will probably be marked as the day that Japan became the best baseball team in the world.
http://search.japantimes.co.jp/cgi-bin/sb20060322o1.html

Tesso said...

Obviously the holiday it was for fellow Team J member Kit's birthday :-)