Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Pleasant Tuesday for a Change

I had some really nice quad DOMS set in late yesterday which put me in fear of yet another painful Tuesday morning run. The pattern has been establishing that if I run easy on Tuesday, even if it hurts, it seems to clear the gunk or something and set me up for better runs for the rest of the week. But this morning I actually woke up fairly easily, got out the door and and ran a steady 14 km at probably about 4:40 to 4:50 pace (have not looked too closely at the data yet). Anyway, average heart rate was 72% for the whole run. So basically just right for a lower aerobic/recovery run. And it felt pretty comfortable without much grief from the leg/groin.

The Polar is going well. I will dedicate a post to it it after I have used some more of the functions. One thing that has occupied me has been getting the foot-pod calibrated. It wasn't right on Sunday. So I re-calibrated this morning over 2 km and subsequently got 0.99 km, 1.01 km and 0.98 km for three consecutive measured one-kilometer sections of path in Komazawa Park. That is a lot better than I'd been getting and about the level of accuracy I was hoping for, i.e,. plus or minus 2%.

4 comments:

2P said...

LOL - I've heard of sleep deprivation but your countdown clock has you needing minus 2 sleeps for your next event!

Great run up the hill the other day mate ;-)

Stephen Lacey said...

LOL...there, it's fixed now ya picky bugger!!

Keren_m said...

Good to hear that you are happier now with the calibration. Your current setting sounds about right to me, and of course you will need to re-calibrate it to match different shoes.

Katie said...

Trust 2P!!!

I thought you would feel sore for a week after the mountain run... what is your secret? I was really sore with DOMS after m sunday 35km... felt better after going for a run though. I guess that gets rid of some of the gunk.