Sunday, March 19, 2006

Saturday Upper Aerobic; Sunday Long

Yesterday, Saturday, I decided to try out the new RS200sd in programmed exercise mode. That is, running in set heart rate zones for programmed lengths of time. Or in this case, as made possible by the footpod, prorammed distances. It all went very well at first with the watch keeping me in Zone 2 (71-77% of HRmax) for the first 3.5 km, just before I hit Komazawa Park. It then beeped and told me to lively up myself to do the 7 km in Zone 3 (78-86% of HRmax, which is upper aerobic). So I put the foot down a little as I hit the running course in the park. About 5 km into that component, though, I looked down at the wrist unit and was aghast to see every conceivable number and symbol lit up. Basically it had had a seizure. I re-set it and it came back to life, but all the data from that run, the time and date setting, and a few other bits and pieces of data were gone. However my user settings and previous runs and some other settings were retained. I set it back to Free mode and finished the run, mostly at upper aerobic, but right at the end I slowed right down for the last kilometre as a cool down. Because of the interruption with the watch I tagged on another lap to get to 16 km all up for the run in 1hr15 min (about).

Today I was little bit stiff and sore in the left leg and lower back, but was determined to get in a slightly longer run than I have been doing. So I rode to Yoyogi Park in the drizzle and got there at 8:30 to run two laps before the rest of the crowd joined at 9:00. Wasn't really a crowd though with myself, Colin, Vinnie, Maki (a new member) and Gary. The drizzle stopped and the little aches and pains settled down after the first lap and basically the run went fairly uneventfully. No more glitches with the HRM. Body held up pretty well but was looking forward to the finish from 20k on. I got to 25-km and was happy to call it quits there. A hilly 30-km trail run in two weeks huh...that will be interesting.


4 comments:

2P said...

Don't ya just hate it when the technology lets you down?

I like the sound of that 30k hilly trail run ;-)

Tesso said...

Glad it was the wrist unit having a siezure and not you!

Ewen said...

Made in China? Couldn't have been made in Japan!

Keren_m said...

Sounds exactly like what happened to my HRM before the start of Kanagawa. But it has not happened since.