Thursday, March 16, 2006

15 odd km of aerobic and interval bling

I dunno what it means, but I keep seeing this word "bling" everywhere lately, so I thought I might as well jump on the bandwagon. I think it means happiness or joy or summit. Am I right?

Anyway, last night was good old Wednesday at Namban. The Oda Field 400-m track was re-opened after a month of down time. With Ohyama behind us, or still in the legs of some of us, we could afford to eschew a hill workout. For sheer novelty value then, after six km of warmup, the usual Yoyogi Park runners joined the interval workout of a ladder of 800, 1200, 1600, 1200, 800, and then a hard 400. I ran pretty reasonable times at hard but not all-out intensity. A 5:54 for the 1600 compared to a 5:35 or so if I went all out is indicative of the entire workout. My left thigh sat up and took notice of this, so I wouldn't want to have pushed much harder. Instead of running the hard 400 I grabbed hold of Satohi and helped her run two hard 400s back-to-back so she could determine her maximum heart rate on her new Polar RS200sd. That makes three of us with one now (the other being Mr. Try Hard). She registered a 190 max on the second rep, which was about right I thought. She is now armed with all she needs to do the training she needs to keep her date with a sub 3:30 marathon in Hokkaido in May.

Today I am stuck working late yet again (had a 14-hour day on Tuesday, not counting commuting, today will eb similar) and will miss my run. It may even be hard to fit one in tomorrow with fatigue and still staring down the barrel of a tough deadline. Speaking of which, I'd better get back to it...

1 comment:

Clairie said...

Hee Hee can always count on you to make me laugh.

Bling means 'gold' or 'jewellry'. To be politically incorrect the 'black' americans wear lots of bling around their neck. This is where the word derived from.

But gold makes me happy so yes you have just invented a new use for the word!!!