Wednesday, February 01, 2006

6 x 1000 in the cold, cold rain

I subscribe to some kind of weather forecast service in Bloglines and today's forecast was for the very scientifically phrased "tons of rain". And it wasn't wrong. And the temperature was an alleged 6 degrees, but I think that might have been overstating it.

With Kanagawa Half looming large -- how many sleeps does my little timer say now -- I wanted a speed workout just to get the feel of running fast. Yesterday morning 4-min/km seemed as fast as I could manage, but in reality I know I can do better, and in fact needed to do better so that low 4-min won't feel so bad on Sunday. That was the theory behind joining the interval session anyway.

Around 6:00, time to leave the office and the rain was falling very steadily. Could have talked myself out of it, like some other people who will remain nameless, but then again I would almost chew my own leg off to get away from that office, so cold driving rain was mere piffle. Got to the sento a little late and Bob was there, reclining back in a chair all changed and ready to go, but in no hurry to go anywhere soon. So once I had fiddled and farted around long enough we trotted up to the track, the rain a little lighter than it had been.

The track was almost like a ghost track, I mean there were about three other runners plus us. Me, Bob, Jay, Anthony, Chiba-san, Paddy, and Brett (who is running Oita-Beppu Marathon on Sunday). Satohi and Mami actually changed, came to the track, ran a couple of warmup laps, I mean actually got wet, and then announced they were going back to the sento. Madness or the height of common sense, it is hard to say.

So anyway, we got into it and did the 6 by 1000 reps. My leg and other bits and pieces were not giving me any trouble and I ran with good rhythm and form. Felt good. I held back from trying to give it everything, but was still happy with the times: 3:46, 3:38, 3:47, 3:40, 3:39, 3:40. And finished feeling pretty good (apart from my fingers stinging from the cold). I should also mention, mainly for the benefit of the pikers, that the rain eased off during the workout to the point where it was only a slight nuisance.

The post-run bath was heaven and the Yona Yona at the Tullamore Irish bar with Bob and the now dry and warm Mami and Satohi was even better.


3 comments:

Keren_m said...

I am a piker and proud out it!

2P said...

I think we need to find a happy medium in the weather Steve - your too cold, I'm too hot - wonder how it is for baby bear? :-)

Me thinks me chocky frog is looking a little better ;-)

Katie said...

Great session steve!! All around the 3;30-40's... good for the confidence. Hmmm I wonder what that feels like :-)

It could rain on race day... so always good to get out there- although 6 degrees is a tad cold :-) I bet that hot bath was heaven!!!

You are sooo right about the humidity... the air was like soup!