Friday, February 03, 2006

3 x 3.3

With the half just two days away I have broken the pattern of running home from work on Thursday and running back on Friday morning. Rather, I took yesterday off completely. Got up this morning at 5:30 and out the door. I have a 3.3 km loop from my place up to Meguro Post Office turn left, then after a couple more lefts end up back in front of my building. Did the first one at what I thought was a reasonably steady pace, the second at a prettyhard pace, and then the third at a moderate pace. Back home and entering the data into the computer, the paces were 5:17/km, 4:28/km and 4:49/km. I'd have said it was faster in ech case, so that doesn't auger well. But I have taken heart from the intervals the other nght and just have to accept that I can't hop straight out of bed and come out into a 3- or 4-degree morning and expect to run with good efficiency.

I showed the Australia Day video of the Brisbane Beer Mile to some of my Namban friends. One of them, Pete, now lives in Portland, Maine, but will be in town next week. He is tall with an athletic build, 50 y.o., and knows what to do with a can of beer. He is a chance to get a world class beer mile time for his age group, so has proposed we devote next Wednesday night's workout to some beer mile training. Could be fun.

3 comments:

2P said...

What cracks me up in the video is that one wombat has a HRM on :-)

Break a leg for the big dance Steve - look forward to reading the report and winning a chocky frog ;-)

Stephen Lacey said...

Thanks 2P. Will see what I can do about getting that froggy for you. Anyway, I'm gradually psyching myself up for a crash or crash through on this race for some reason.

Tesso said...

Thanks for your good luck wishes Steve. I'll think of you when 'Werewolves of London' comes on. Hey everyone, that's because he requested Warren Zevon, not because .... :-)

I've got 'Capricorn Dancer' on there as well - such a cool song.

Good luck to you for the half this weekend. 2P is counting on getting that froggy, you know what he's like.