Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Looking good after a shaky start...

Today: 12
Week: 20
Well, I had to shake the malaise somehow. I'd wanted to start the week with a bang by getting up and running 15 km or so on Monday morning, but alas, I was up late working Sunday night and then just could not sleep when I went to bed. So when the alarm went off it was quickly dispatched and re-set to a (much) later time. But I did take my running clothes to work and I did get out there for a steady 8 km. I think I'd have started to become very raggedy if I hadn't fit that in.

So then this morning I set the alarm for 5:30, again with the idea of running 15. So what happens? I wake up at 6:00 with the watch in my hand. Must have turned it off without even becoming conscious. So I very nearly baled out right then, but then thought oh bugger it, I can be a little bit late for work if necessary. So I got ready quickly and hit the ground running, so to peak. The best thing was that I basically kicked it in the guts pretty much from the outset. Ran to the park (4k) at 4:40/km pace, then did two laps in the 4:20/k range (4k), and then home again at 4:30/k. All up the 12 km in a bit over 54 minutes. Had a real James-Brown-I-Feel-Good buzz happening after that one. And even managed to make it to work on time.

So, a good start, but it was touch and go there at around six o'clock!

2 comments:

2P said...

The old wake up with the watch in your hand routine - I've done that a few times myself - now I set the alarm on my mobile and put it on the bedside table in a different spot each night (so I have to look for it to turn it off ie no auto pilot).

Good on you for getting out there and getting that 12k done in a pretty handy time.

You're spot on re: your comments on my blog - I HAVE been fantasising about one last long run considering I had to start my taper early - will settle for an hour twenty hit out on the hills of Quarry Rd on Thursday instead ;-)

Tesso said...

I know one guy who takes four alarms with him when he travels to races and puts one in each corner of the room!

Trouble with you is now you know you can squeeze in a quality session getting up at 6am. So if you sleep in for an extra half hour after that .....