Thursday, February 16, 2006

Ome Marathon

Well, it looks like I will be running in a race this Sunday. It is not something I have mentioned because I didn't actually enter it. Let's just say I'll be answering to the name "Gareth" for a few hours on Sunday. It is a 30 km event and I have not run 30 km since....probably since November 23rd!! I think the last 10k are going to be a challenge. The Ome Marathon is in the hills of western Tokyo. It is apparently a very scenic (and hilly) course and gets a lot of participants. This year is the 40th anniversary so they increased the number of entrants to ... 15,000! And I hear the road on which it starts is fairly narrow, so we can look forward to taking 10 minutes to cross the start line and about 5:00/km pace for the first 5k or more. Suits me fine. My strategy is to stick with Mika and/or Keren and try to enjoy the event rather than race it. I just have not done the miles to be able to do it justice, and the upper leg is now sore even though the back has settled down. So, Ome running event, here I come.

2 comments:

2P said...

Do a really crap time - YOU have nothing to lose ;-)

Keren_m said...

Sounds like a good plan, I am just planning to enjoy doing "the most famous race In Japan" as well. And I think Jay will be there abouts as well.