Tuesday, October 25, 2005

Tuesday Lower Aerobic (again)

Run type: Lower aerobic
Distance: 18.35 km (to and from Komazawa Park and five laps)
Average pace: 4:30/km
Average heart rate: 139
Weather: Fine & 16 C
Sleep: 5 hours

Back to the old friend. I like this run because it is not a slow bludge, but it is never particularly difficult and you can just get into a nice rythm. I guess most of this today, after the initial 20 minute warm up, was above 135 and in the low to mid 140s. Mostly around 4:20/km to 4:30/km pace. A few twinges in the left leg, but I do suspect this is partly nerve related due to misalignment in the hips/lower back. So I think I'll just take it with care but push on with the final couple of weeks.

This was the first run in a new pair of Asics 2100s. No problems there. Some more sleep would have been nice, but work is quite demanding this week and I had to work at home until midnight.

The worst thing today was the early battle with the Polar S410. I love it (in case you are reading, Pete), but it has got some hang-up about working in Exercise Set mode. The same thing happened when I tried to use an exercise set for the long run on Sunday. I set the timers and upper and lower limits. Get a heart rate, good, everything is working, now press start and away we go. But once we get going, the displayed heart rate collapses to 11 or 12. Poor electrodes contact? Maybe. Adjust, fiddle, spittle, ptooey, etc. OK, working good, take off, pip pip pip, heart rate of 11 again. Crap. As soon as I stop the timer, the heart rate reverts to the correct reading. I go back to Basic Use mode. Fine and dandy with no further problems. The saga of the HRM, to be continued...

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Steve! Hope you get the mis-behaving Polar sorted out...bothersome little thing! I'm trying to master the software for the S265x; downloading was OK but now I've got dozens of charts, graphs to read! Anyhow, even if I never get it right, it all looks very pretty!!

Stephen Lacey said...

Chers Luckylegs!

HRMs are not quite as user friendly as pain watches, but they give some great data. I hope I can get the set function working because it seems to offer a lot of potential. Have fun with your graphs!