Sunday, October 02, 2005

Sunday Long in Yoyogi

Run type: Long
Distance: 35 km
Time: 3:03:56
Average pace: 5:15 min/km
Weekly total: 118 km

While nearly everybody in Namban was out at the East Japan Ekiden (relay) , Colin and I found ourselves fronting up for a long slog in the park. Gareth and David Motozo unexpectedly turned up around 9:00 and joined us for a few laps. The weather has relapsed into a reprise of summer-- up to 29 today. Fortunately we probably only had to deal with up to 25 or so, but still, it was hotter than recent days.

It was a fairly uneventful run. fourteen laps at a pace overall a bit slower than last week. I think my tired legs from yesterday's hill workout came into play in the last 10 km as it was a struggle at times. Doing these long runs on no breakfast and only water during the run really adds to the fatigue as well.

On the 11th lap I had a reasonably heavy fall. Snagged my foot on a wee vestigial stump that we have run over and around a brazilian times in the past. I was completely spaced out when it happened and it really threw me -- I sort of sprawled forward plus rolled onto my right shoulder fairly heavily. I nearly ended up tangled up in Colin's legs. Anyway, no great harm done, but I picked up half a ton of soil all over me. We kicked the shit out of the stump and finally got rid of it, mainly thanks to Colin's size 13 demolition balls. From then it was just slogging out the rest of the run.

We enjoyed a cool drink at the kiosk before heading our separate ways. There was an Indian festival over at NHK park. I had a mutton curry and nan for 500 yen plus a Ginga Kogen nama beer. Very nice and took the edge off the hunger 'til I could get home.

No comments: