Monday, October 24, 2005

Sunday Loooong!

Run type: Long
Distance: 40 km
Average pace: 5:04/km
Heart rate: 133
Weather: Fine and cool

I didn't set out to run that long, but it just kind of happened. I did set out to run up to 35 or 36k as the last really long run before the marathon. I also intended to try and run the latter third at higher pace/heart rate than the first two-thirds. As it turned out, running as a group in Yoyogi, we gradually increased the pace over 10 laps from 5:30 or so up to 4:50. Then on my leg home I ran at about 4:40 pace (and heart rate of 140). When I got home I just didn't feel wasted enough. I reckoned that for a good training stimulus I needed to feel really knackered. So I kept running and did a further 3.3 km around the post office loop at what turned out to be 4:30 pace (HR 152). I was pretty much done after that.

I had spent some time the night before working out how to use the heart rate monitor with training sets. I set one up for the long run, but alas, when I used it the monitor kept giving strange readings. When i gave up and went back to the Basic Use mode it was fine. So that is a mystery to be further explored.

No comments: