Saturday, October 08, 2005

Saturday Long Run

Run type: Long
Distance 36 km
Average pace: 5:07/km
Heart rate: ?? (watch battery flat)
Weather: 22 degrees & very humid(4:30 am)

With the plan to go away tomorrow, I didn't want to be spending half of Saturday doing my long run. Need to get a haircut and just be around for kids and so on. I managed to get to bed around 9:30 and set the alarm for 4:00. There was a hell of a storm and drain through the night, which resulted in a disrupted sleep. Miraculousy when I woke up it was not raining. Took me 15 minutes to get out of bed, but then got ready fairly quickly and started the watch at 4:31!

For something different I headed to Tamagawa and upstream. Legs felt a little tender but once warmed up worked alright. I went at 5:20/km pace until I hit the Odakyu line (13.4 km), then closer to 5:00/km up tothe Keio line (17.45 km), where I turned around. Had a short break and some sports drink. All the way back in just above or just under 5:00/km pace. When I got home I felt it was a km or so short of what I needed, so I ran around Kohta's 1.1 km loop. The G-map measurer thing tells me I did exactly 36 km in 5:07/km average. Good to be finished the long run at 8:00 am on a Saturday morning! Treated myself with a Coke at the finish.

2 comments:

Tesso said...

Steve, all these places you run sound so exotic!

Exactly when and where is your upcoming marathon?

Stephen Lacey said...

Hi Tesso,

Yes, they do sound exotic. It is a shame the reality doesn't quite measure up, but there are always a few things that catch the eye, like the guys I saw flying their model aeroplanes at 5:30 in the morning (nearly as silly as someone running) or the homeless camps along the banks of the Tamagawa, some with quite elaborate vegetable plots. Once when I ran up there it had been raining so much the emergency services people were evacuating all the homeless people in case the water rose much more and washed them away.

The marathon I'm training for is on the 23rd November in Ohtawara, Tochigi Prefecture. It is about 150 km north of Tokyo. A small town and a really friendly well-organised marathon past rice paddies and cow barns and even a bit of forest. Lots of little old ladies and families with kids lining the road waving flags and cheering on the runners. I'll post in full about it after the event.