Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Two days off

Always one to rest on my laurels, after posting that nice weekly total of 109 km last week I promptly took two complete days off. On Sunday I had to actively resist the urge to run. But I spent the afternoon at a beer tasting followed by dinner with my wife to celebrate our 17th anniversary. On Monday morning I got up with the alarm, but realised my head was not the best and I felt really tired. It wouldn't have been much of a run anyway, so I figured another hour of sleep might, on balance, be better training.

So I managed to sleep early enough last night and got up this morning. I decided today was the day for Tuesdays to move up from 14 km to 16 km. I spent the middle part of the run at a heart rate of 148 and much of the late part not far below that. Average pace was 4:41 and average heart rate 140. Basically everything seems to be functioning OK. No complaints on the injury front, though there are still a couple of little creaks and groans hanging around.

I'm thinking another week of this kind of longer, harder aerobic business, and then next week I will bring in a couple of sessions with a speedwork component. Probably a lactic threshold run.

3 comments:

Clairie said...

2 days of rest! Doesn't sound like you at all.

Then again I am sure it is just what the body was needing.

2P said...

Sounds like a plan Steve - shore up the base and then sharpen up the apex.

Ewen said...

You get no sympathy from a fellow beer drinker Steve.

Have you tried WD40 on those creaks and groans?