Friday, October 13, 2006

The Overtraining Bus

I think I just got run over by it.

I ran home last night and after Wedneday's hard workout was primed for an easy recovery run. As soon as I got going I was quickly informed by my communicative body that nothing else was possible. So that was 10 km in 55 minutes. I have to confess that the 1600s sent my left knee from a strange ticking noise to a full on shuddering vibration. Well, maybe it'll come good if we just keep driving...

Got up to run back to work this morning and felt fairly tired. In recent weeks on the same run I was good for an upper aerobic workout -- up to 15 km last week. But I don't know if it was just that my backpack was a little bit heavy, or genuine fatigue (or a combination of teh two more likely), but I really never felt like getting out of second gear today. The knee was pretty good at first but flared up about 8 km into the run. Ended up with 12.2 km in 1 hr 3 minutes. So, definitely not quite the tickety-boo week I was having last week. Makes you re-think the value of those 1600s. I was doing alright on a strictly aerobic pace diet. So, my reaction is just to back off the intensity and distance but hopefully not take any days off just yet. Some anti-inflams for the knee (I think it is tendon related) and massage.

Or maybe it is my body having a reaction to the lack of beer...

No comments: