Thursday, October 26, 2006

Another tempo run

One thing I forgot to mention in the last post was that I felt really good last night. I was just ready and itching to run. [sigh]. But the good news is that my wife seems to be on the mend today from her bad 'flu. Still a bit weak, but I think she'll pull through.

So I woke up this morning after a good sleep and hit the road running, wearing my brand new 2110s for the first time, and to be sure my legs were feeling as good as they have for a while. Funny what a little bit of rest will do.

I tossed up about what to do, but with Ewen's words ringing in my ears that I should be doing my tempo workouts at sub 4:00/km pace, it was inevitable that I would submit to the whispering voices. After 6 km of warming up, which included a short stop to rest my elbows on my knees and read the graffiti (there is not really any graffiti in Japan), I got stuck into a harder pace. I am pleased to report that it went pretty well. Only the first km was over 4:00 (by three seconds), then the rest, even the uphills, were around 3:55 to 3:56/km (one dipped to 3:51). I did three and a half laps of tempo, or 7.5 km. The first three km my heart rate was not really getting out of aerobic territory, around 82% of HRmax. Kilometer-four saw it go to 84%, then successive one-km stretches were 85%, then 87%, then finally 88%. So I think that is a reasonable threshold run. A few more of these, with distance increasing to 10 km, will be helpful to the cause.

Total distance for the run was 18 km, so now 32 for the week, and a bit of quality thrown in, not quite as depressing.

1 comment:

Ewen said...

Nothing like a good workout to help with the dysfunction ;) Glad your wife is feeling better since the soothing.

I've taken on board what you suggested re gradually increasing number of runs and distance. 12k was fine on Wednesday, so maybe next week up to 15 and an almost legitimate mid-week long run.