Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Charting rocky waters

Hey, I was there too!  Yes, Rie-chan, it was a delicious cake and Mami was a gorgeous bride. Gary even scrubbed up alright for an old scouser.

So Monday was a public holiday in Japan and Gary and Mami chose to hold their Japanese wedding ceremony that day. It was an absolutely rip-roaringly, ball-tearingly beautiful Tokyo autumn day. The sun was shining, the air was mild, the buildings and greenery glittered in their post-typhoon cleanliness. And the wedding itself was flawlessly superb in every respect.

I somehow navigated the wedding and second party without getting too written off. Arrived home feeling really calm and at one with the world after such a lovely day. Maybe all those G&Ts at the second party had something to do with that feeling as well. Anyway, I was a little bit tired and emotional and after pottering about for a bit crashed at 9:30 wondering whether I would be in any state to run this morning. I woke up at 2 am with a sort of dry horrors. Guzzled some water and then could not go back to sleep. But I dozed and eventually slept a little. I woke again with the alarm at 5:10 and eventually made it out the door into what was another glorious morning. Surprisingly I didn't have anything I would call a hangover and managed to have a pretty normal run of 16 km at upper aerobic pace.

There was a surreal moment just before I started the run. For some reason there was not a single car on Meguro Dori, which is otherwise a major thoroughfare. There was one lady sitting on her bicycle nearby waiting for the lights to change but no other soul around, there was not a bird chirping, nor a bee humming and not a breath of wind. In short, it was deathly quiet, still, and the cool morning air caressed the senses. This moment must have only lasted about 10 or 20 seconds and then I clicked my little red button and set off for my run, whereupon a wave of cars released from a red light came thundering along the road and past me shattering the mood. It was an interesting little moment while it lasted though.

Now I just have to get through a cocktail party tonight and then it will be Teetotal Steve until after the marathon <gulp>

4 comments:

Rachel said...

I'm jealous of the nice weather you've been having. Sounds as varied and wierd as ours!

Great concept the beer and chocolate :)

2P said...

Speaking of dry horrors - teatotal sheesh!

Mate you are getting all romantic, and sentimental on us - we are going to have to toughen you up a bit for a sub 3 marathon methinks - try stuffing a frill-necked lizard down your jocks on your next run ;-)

Clairie said...

What a massive looking cake!!! Yummy it looks great.

I love the description of your surreal moment. I can visualise it all very clearly.
A good run to get in 16km - that should sort out any remaining alcohol!

How about trying for some fruit non-alcoholic cocktails tonight and start the challenge now???

nahhhhh

Tesso said...

I'm finally back in Bris and catching up on blogs. Man, you sure are racking up the kms. Must be looking forward to taper time.