Saturday, September 30, 2006

Another Saturday Long Run for Family Reasons

I couldn't stand the idea of running around and around Yoyogi Park by myself and thought about heading up the Tama River. Finally I headed off around the Yamanote Line to Tokyo (Hibiya actually) and up to the Imperial Palace. Bumped into Jaynie and ran a lap with her and then headed up to Yoyogi Park. Ran one lap in reverse in case Gareth and Katakura were still there. I rested for a bit and was about to head home when they came past...they were running funny Gareth loops. So I did a couple of km with them and then peeled off and headed home. Got home with the odometer showing 35 km, so I gritted the teeth and did another one km lap around the block. Total: 36 km in an average pace of 5:17/km and average heart rate of 131. Parts of the run, especially early and towards the end were at under 5:00/km.

In the afternoon I was helping my brew buddy tidying up his office (and our brewing area) and when the time came decided to run home; that was another 4.5 km at slowish pace (no watch or HRM or even proper running clothes, but I don't think my legs would have noticed any of that).

Weekly distance stands at 109 km with a day still in hand. Might be time for a bit of a rest.

5 comments:

Clairie said...

A great day for a long run obviously.

Monaghetti swore by the runs he did in the afternoon after a long run. Even if it was only 5-10km it was a message to his body that it can't relax just yet. In other words preparing it for the marathon distance without doing the mileage all in one hit.

I'm suprised you were able to run home after *ahem* cleaning up the brewing office heh heh

Ewen said...

36k! I didn't ride that far on my bike this afternoon. Good week Steve.

Unknown said...

Steve, thank you so much for the lovely comment on my blog! I think Ewen & I make a fairly good team & we should keep you amused for the rest of the year!

2P said...

That sub 3 is looking better and better ;-)

Katie said...

Hey!!! Long time no blog :-) I have been pretty slack! Thanks for your comments after the marathon..... yes lots of learning which is priceless!
109km.... thats a big week! Great effort!!