Sunday, September 25, 2005

Sunday long and fast(ish)

Run type: Long
Distance: 35.5 km
Time: 2:57:32
Average pace: 5:00 min/km

I planned to only run 30 km and try and do it at a faster pace than long runs have been up to now. I suppose it worked out pretty well in that the pace was faster, though the distance was pretty much as long as a long run needs to be.

It was a cool morning, around 20 degrees celsius and windy, overcast, drizzly and heavier rain threatening all the time as Typhoon jyu-nana (Typhoon number 17) was bearing down on south eastern Honshu. I left home just after 7:30 am and ran to Yoyogi Park via Daikenyama and Shibuya (5.8 km at 5:00/km). Colin's bike was under the usual tree, and with the heavy rain we've had I was sure he'd be running Fulton loops. So I ran a Fulton in reverse. But I didn't encounter him until I'd almost finished the loop. And he was not doing Fultons but Petaus. So I swung around and joined him and we were then running at 5:10 to 5:15 per km pace, which continued for a few laps (2.5k/lap). Then at 9:00 we met up with Gareth. Gary C. found us after we started the lap. After that lap I wanted to pick up the pace a little, and the pace of the next laps went 5:07, 5:03, 4:52, and 5:04 (after being joined by Rebeccah). I had a bit of fatigue in the legs and buttocks, but was holding form OK. I had a short break and sucked down a Pocari Sweat and had a short chat with Gareth before swinging out the front gate and heading for home.

I was determined to run this last 5.8 k on tired legs at a stiff pace. Managed to do it at an average of 4:34/km, which is not bad going considering the couple of pedestrian overpasses I had to negotiate. I was pushing hard over the last uphill stretch to home, so then decided to do the little 1.2 km loop as a cool down. Although it felt really slow, it was only just over 5:00/km and my legs were feeling tired but OK.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Interesting to read the place names of where you run, Steve; can't get a picture in my mind at all, so how about a photo or two? The apartment sounds really nice, did you get it?

Glad you like the banner idea; waiting to see yours....when you get the time!

Stephen Lacey said...

LL, thanks for stopping by. OK, try this URL. It works for some people, but not others.
http://tinyurl.com/87k9a
It is a satellite image of my most common run, from home to Komazawa Park, and then as many laps as I am up for. Komazawa Park was the main site of the 1964 Olympics, but I am sure you are too young to remember that. I can atl east say I was born, but not much more.

I'll try and post some more photos when I have a bit of time.

We are still working on getting the apartment ;-)