Wednesday, August 17, 2005

Wed AM - sore to the core




Last Wednesday I introduced a morning session of a light run accompanied by some core strengthening exercises. The routine is to run to a BBQ/picnic area in my local park, Rinshi no Mori (1.2 km), then do a set of exercises on the picnic tables. Then I run a lap of the park (1.7 km) and do another set, then another lap and another set before running home. Total run is only 5.8 km and not particularly fast.

One set of exercises is about 15 to 20 situps, 20 pushups, 20 back arches, and one other which changes with each set (e.g., plank, sideways crunch or whatever I think of). To do the situps, I sit on the table and hook my feet underneath the seat, only reclining back to about 45 degrees. It really gets you in the abs. After last week I was sore for days and days. To my great surprise, when I started to do them this morning, I discovered my abs were still sore -- not noticeable in the course of normal daily life, but very tender when asked to repeat what they did a whole week ago. Bloody hell!! So I have realised I have to really do these things more regularly. Anyway, I cut back the volume a bit today, but still did them.

2 comments:

silverfox said...

Steve

welcome to blogsville mate! I am very much looking forward to checking yours out as I (along with many others I am sure!)have admired not only your running achievements and your take on life but your ability to express them. I hope you get as much out of recording it all I as have.

cheers
sf

Stephen Lacey said...

Thanks sf, thanks plu! It is nice to be blogging and certainly enriches the experience of reading other people's blogs. You certainly get to know people this way!