Saturday, August 20, 2005

Fri Evening - Full Moon over Otemachi

Run type: half & half
Distance: 10 km
Time 50:03
Weekly Cumulative: 60 km

There are few more beautiful sights in nature than a big, plump, golden harvest moon. Last night during our run around Tokyo's Imperial Palace, it was a particularly luscious version hovering above the city skyline as we rounded the Kamiyacho corner heading towards Otemachi. I was with Gareth, Colin & Jim, and on that first lap we were taking it nice and slow. So much so, in fact, that the first lap was a leisurely 28:07, or 5:33/km.

Colin's hip and legs were playing up and he didn't know whether to stop after the first lap or try to put mind over matter. As one would predict, he chose the latter. He started picking up the pace a little way into the second lap and I watched him gradually draw away for a little while before deciding it was time to do some work. So I got stuck in and soon caught and passed him and settled in at a heart rate of around 160. It felt nice and relaxed, but working fairly hard and moving at a stiff pace. I hadn't run at that high a heart rate for a sustained period for some time, what with all this base training, so it felt good to be moving along fairly quickly, I think around 4:10 to 4:15 pace. I got to the Takebashi Hill at a heart rate of 165, so I backed it off slightly rather than try to attack the hill. HR still crept up to 170.

From the top of the hill I just coasted along, conscious of not building up lactate because I wanted to run again in the morning. I had not been aware of Colin at all since going past him, so I figured he was a minute or so behind. Much to my surprise, as I was starting to ease off approaching the finish line, I felt a gentle push in the back; it was Colin! So I had to give a final little burst as we crossed the line together. It was a good run. I certainly enjoyed it. I just hope Colin's hip doesn't come back to bite him too hard today.

After the run we went to a beer garden and drank more beer than we should have and had a decent meal of pasta, pizza, and salad. On the way home Gareth and I popped into the new Aldgate in Shibuya for a cleansing pint of Yona Yona (or was it two!). I also poked my nose into the Black Lion, first time in ages, and had a brief chat with Alex. He is heading back to the States to take up studies to become a chef--at the age of 42! More power to him is all I can say. Fortunately I didn't have another beer there.

A little hung over today, so no run this morning. Hopefully later in the afternoon.

No comments: