Friday, August 26, 2005

I'm a resident, permanently

Well, one of the little jobs I had to do during this long and luxurious holiday was go pick up my permanent residence visa. I applied for it back in January at the same time as renewing my spouse visa. A little postcard turned up a few days ago saying it was ready, so I made the familiar trip across to the Department of Immigration in Shinagawa. Picking it up was a fairly painless procedure--only about a 30 minute wait.

So now I can live here as long as I want, which is a strange feeling because at times I think I passed that point about two years ago. But, should things continue to drift on, at least I don't have to worry about my visa expiring in the stealth of night. And it will make it a lot easier to secure a mortgage or go into any business ventures should one or other of those paths open.

I'm still an alien though.

No comments: