Tuesday, August 23, 2005

Tuesday hitout

Run type: Lower aerobic zone
Distance: 16.9 km
Time 1:21:16 (4:49/km avg)
Weekly Cumulative: 16.9 km
Weather: 27 degrees, medium humidity, fine with light breeze
Time of day: 5:20 a.m.

Well, I have decided that I should be using 185 as my maximum heart rate and have re-studied Hadd. As a result, I should be doing the slightly easier of the two Hadd workouts (the "everyday pace") at a heart rate of around 140 to 145 (originally would have been 135 to 138, but I am assuming I've moved up a notch). So I am calling this the "lower aerobic zone" workout. I spent about 70 minutes at or close to that zone today. The first 10 minutes were just warming up.

The main body of the run consisted of four laps (2.15 km/lap) of Komazawa Park. The drift in heart rate is still happening. There was a gradual, like 2 sec/km) loss of speed over the first few laps while holding heart rate farily consistent, but from the third to fourth lap on the downhill section I slipped almost 12 seconds. I'm sure that's worse than in recent weeks. Maybe I dropped the heart rate back more than on other comparable runs, but it was certainly still in the zone. So, I don't know, there is still no strong sense of forward progress. I did have a crappy night's sleep, so maybe that was part of the reason...

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thanks for the explanation, Steve, about the camphor laurel tree...I thought it might be another "miracle of life" that you'd forgotten about!

Always enjoy all the detail you give of your runs...I can actually see it happening! Hope you're getting less crappy sleeps. LL