Friday, January 19, 2007

Six-minutes times five

I took advantage of the fact that I am alone in the office today to slip out for a midday run. I ran to the Imperial Palace, hitting the course at Hanzomon, and then continued down to Sakuradamon at easy pace. I then hit the split button and took off running at long interval/hard tempo pace, aka cruise intervals. Rather than run mile repeats and record the time, I decided to make use of the footpod and ran for precisely six minutes with three minutes recovery. McMillan says my mile cruise intervals should be in 5:56 to 6:04 minutes. While it is a bit meaningless because of differences in terrain, the distances recorded for the six-minute efforts were: 1.56km (flat), 1.51km (uphill), 1.6 km (downhill), 1.44 km (flat + uphill), 1.49 km (flat & downhill). The pace readout showed zero a few times during the last two reps, so if the pod and watch were having trouble talking the distance might be underestimated slightly. But maybe not...

This was an interesting workout because it required a different mental approach. It seemed somehow harder thinking about how long I had to go rather than how far I had to go.
Total distance for the run: 14.6 km
Average heart rate: 141 (76%)
Maximum heart rate: 166 (89%)

It is the Shibuya Ekiden on Sunday. Many of us are anxious about when to do our long runs. The ekiden legs are only about 3 km, so it is a little bit of a hassle to be honest. Some people will do long runs after the ekiden. If I can find the time, I think I'll do mine tomorrow and then just take things pretty easy on Sunday (apart from the 3 km blast).

4 comments:

Samurai Running said...

Yes Stephen I understand the worry with the Ekiden and the long run.

I have a 10K on this Sunday and I worry that this close to Tokyo I should be doing my long run but fitting one in after my 10K may be difficult and unproductive as well.

See how I feel.

Your training is going well keep it up!

Tesso said...

Sounds like the way to go. Your long run surely must take priority at this stage of the game.

Ewen said...

Or you could get up really early and do the long run before the 3k relay... or, half of it before and half after.

2P said...

Some nice strong sessions Steve - starting to shape up well.