Sunday, January 07, 2007

Long Run Achieved

Today: 34 km
Week/month/year: 81 km

Some friends, including Tokyo Running Days, were planning a very interesting long run this morning through the highways and byways of western Tokyo. The pace was planned to be a little on the stiff side, which would have been perfect from a training perspective, and I really wanted to join, but I was just a bit concerned about it (the pace) being too stressful on the leg at this stage. So I headed off to old faithful Yoyogi Park to see what I could accomplish. Again the leg had improved since the Friday morning run, so I was hopeful it would hold up for something upward of 25, hopefully 30 km. I was very pleased to notch up 34 and squeak over the 80 km mark for the week from four runs. Probably not an ideal regime, but it is what is helping me lurch ever onward towards Tokyo.

So Scott's son recognized my boys! That was pretty cool. I thought they would remain pretty much incognito on this blog, what with it being in English and the fan base being pretty much Japanese. But they've been outed now. So, yes Tesso, the two younger lads are cast members on a Japanese TV show on NHK (the national broadcaster) for kids called Tensai Terebi Kun MAX. It has music, talk spots, comedy, special guests, location shoots of things like "how to make xxx", etc. Until a couple of months back there were a bunch of clips on YouTube including some with the boys. But the Japanese broadcasters got wind of it and stacks of clips on YouTube that had been grabbed from various  Japanese TV programs were unceremoniously removed. There seem to be a few from the show back on at the moment, but not featuring the boys. Here are a couple of links just to give you an idea of the show:
From last year's live stage event  (Kohta is at far right, Chiaki 2nd from far left, both in the back row)
A version of Happy Birthday from the ending of the show during the 2005 season.
Riho learns to make tofu

The eldest boy, Tatsuya, also gets a little bit of modelling work and, Scott, if you keep your eye out you might see him in a PSP ad on TV at the moment where they have all this blue, white, pink, grey paint flying in slow motion (indicating all the colours that PSPs now come in). Then his ugly dial pops up in black and white for a second. He is looking up and then a blob of blue paint drops on his cheek. He is going to be moving to Australia at the end of this month to live with my brother in Newcastle and attend year 11 and 12. We will miss him.

As for me featuring in Flash magazine, I will first have to work hard on doing something worthy of a scandal. I suppose it could happen when I have the halo in at the dry cleaners.

Oh yes, I almost forgot: the boys also have their own blog operated through their agency. Good luck reading it. If you go back a few posts you will see a very dodgy looking Santa.

5 comments:

Samurai Running said...

Yes, my son, and frankly I, was excited to recognise your boys. I'm also interested in knowing how others raise their cildren in Japan and I'm sure to ask you some questions down the road. Must be hard to let go of Tatsuya. He seem such a good kid also he's a good looking young man and must get a lot of offers to model. Did I tell you I was a model? I used to model full faced helmets.

By the way if you find out Ewen secret with women please let me know.

Ewen said...

Scott, didn't Stephen say 'bearded men are the sexiest on the planet'?

I'm glad that video had subtitles - you should have seen me singing along in Japanese. How come your boys didn't get the uni-cycle gig? Lack of inherited sporting talent? I guess their good looks and singing ability comes from mum.

Oh yeah, nice 34k :)

mika t. said...

Steve, shame that we missed you on Sunday. Actually we did 32k, some (Brett and Jay) speeded up at the end but mostly it was aerobic pace.

I didn't know Tatsuya was on Sony ad. That's pretty big!

2P said...

I can just see Tatsuya influencing Sony's next big game - Normie lol main character cruises up and down Hunter Street in an FJ trying to pick up chicks ;-)

Nice long run too.

Tesso said...

Cute clips. Love the outfits in the live stage event :-) You must be so proud of your boys.

I'm still trying to work out why 'Tracks Of My Tears' was playing when they seemed to be having so much fun with the bean curd.

So, what is Flash magazine? With a name like Flash it sounds like something you buy just for 'the articles'.


PS 34k - good stuff.