Friday, October 26, 2007

Mid-week report: the good and the bad

The good is that things are going much better this week despite the fact I caught a cold on Monday. It slowed me down a little and threw the schedule around because while I planned to wake up and train every morning, it was impossible to face getting up at 5:15 for an interval session with the dullness that comes with a cold. But it is clearing now on the back of mega-doses of vitamin C. I managed a good set of mile repeats on Wednesday night and a hard hour on a treadmill (hill program at a fairly high setting) last night.

The bad was that a work colleague who joined my team at our company's ekiden in May this year, and who I would occasionally have contact with through my job, died during a trail running race, the 71 km Hasegawa Cup in far western Tokyo. That's him at far right in the photo of our ekiden team. The race goes through some pretty rugged terrain and there are a few places where if you fall off the trail you are a goner. Sadly he was the only person in the 15 years of the race to fall off one of those sections. It was terrible. Only 40 years old and as nice a guy as you'd want to meet. We were not really more than acquaintances, but it still hit pretty hard when attending his otsuya (like a wake the day before the funeral) especially the way it happened. Rest in peace Kazuhiro Tanaka. I hope I can finish the race for you next year.

On a slightly happier note, "my" beer is being consumed in the more discerning bars of Tokyo.

7 comments:

Samurai Running said...

That must have been a shock, Steve!
I really feel for his family and friends.

Take care everyone. We are all just one slip way from harm so we better try to stay aware.

I know it's not comparable but Thursday night I slipped coming out of the shower and came down hard with my leg bent at horriffic angle under me. I let out a blood curdling scream and thought for a minute or two that I'd snapped my ankle. I was bloody painful, I'll give you the drum.

Now Friday afternoon and I'm able to walk on it and feeling very luck that I could get away it this time.

Again like I said stay focused on the situation as much as you all can it only takes a small lapse in concentration.

Ewen said...

Wow, that's a tragedy! Not something you expect in a trail race - snakebite maybe, but not falling to your death. The last bit of 6' is dodgy but I don't think you'd die if you fell off.

Looks like "my beer" will be consumed all too soon. Very impressive - almost as much as your continuing juggling act ;)

Pete said...

Steve, I'm very sorry about your colleague. That's a terrible tragedy. It's really sad.

2P said...

Geez what a way to go! Sorry to hear about your mate and a fellow trail runner going that way.

Nice work with the juggling - as Paul Hogan used to say - keepa-dancin Maria ;-)

mika t. said...

I heard about the news but I didn't know that the guy was your colleague. It's very very sad....

Christian said...

again, sincere condolences.
please be careful next year when running for him!

Tesso said...

That is just way too sad :-(