Sunday, October 14, 2007

Another week down...

Another up and down week over (only six more of them to go!). Frustrations not being able to quite crank out the mileage or some of the more intense sessions that I would like, but despite the niggles and the nags, I am still in the game.
  • Mon 8th: Public holiday. Easy 10 km at 5:20/km
  • Tue AM: 16k @ 4:40 HRav 136 ... not feeling fully recovered from Sunday
  • Wed PM: 20k with a whole mix of paces. Some slowish warm up, some lower aerobic, and three mile cruise intervals at about 3:50/km (aggravated hamstring & Achilles a bit)
  • Thur PM: Work sprung a drinking party on me, so I snuck out to the gym at 5:30 and did 30 min "hills" on the elliptical and 5k on the treadmill with progressive pace: 4:40 for 1k, 4:17 for 2k and 4:00 for 2k.
  • Fri PM: 16 km around the Imperial Palace. First and third laps at around 4:40/km. Second lap was a fartlek of a 400 m, a 600m, a 700 m and another 400 m which was an aborted 1000 m because the right hamstrings started squawking. Would have done a fair bit more of this if the legs were more sound. Really ended up with quite a few sore bits after this one.
  • Sat AM: Recovery. 13 k @ 5:20/km, average HR of 122! Also took some Ibuprofens at lunch and dinner to help the legs settle for Sunday's pace run.
  • Sun AM: Set up and joined the marathon girls on a race pace run at the Palace. Legs feeling as good as could be expected. We did a lap (5k) to warm up, then five laps at our planned race paces (or thereabouts). Basically I was able to do all mine at between 4:15/km and 4:18/km and my heart rate never got into uncomfortable territory (details here). I was definitely starting to go off the boil by the fifth lap though and developed a new sore spot, in my right calf (sigh!). It was quite a good workout, but once again after I attempt a run with a bit of intensity and quality, I find myself asking at what cost? I recovered pretty well in the afternoon, but have little sore spots in various places in my legs. I think I'll just try and swim tomorrow.
Weekly mileage: 110 km

7 comments:

Christian said...

some people call 110k `down'... yes, you were talking about quality, but today's run's details look quite promising, I think! (wow, I started to write Japanese English... maybe not the start but continuation, today の run の detail ... と思う language switching is confusing but fun)

MilesandMiles said...

Hey Steve, seems you are doing quite well although still teetering on that knife edge. Would getting a greater portion of your aerobic maintenance work from cross-training and saving your running for quality sessions be a safer approach for the last few weeks of training? Also will you be doing any sharpening races?
good luck

Ewen said...

You're doing an amazing job of keeping all the bits together. Glad to hear the achilles is humming, but not so about the calf mooing.

Congrats on Tokyo - yes, you'll have to run the bastard now. We should line up a run on the 6' track with 2P while you're here in January.

By the way, that's not a crew cut!

Stephen Lacey said...

Christian, sorry I didn't realize your Japanese English. I am too conditioned to it.
Arnaud (milesandmiles): yes, I have been and intend to continue with cross training, though to some extent that also includes easier, non-stressing runs. I haven't entered any races but might join the marathon girls in a 10k time trial. But I have to really weigh up the risks and benefits of running fast.
Ewen: You are right. That's a No. 4. Apparently the next day it went to a No. 1, a pretty good approximation of a crew cut I'd say. Hey, you know, I'd love to get me a taste of that track. Let's start working on setting that up!! I'll be in Sydney from about the 12/28th to 1/2nd or 3rd ... I wonder if that is enough time to work with?

Christian said...

btw, the heart rate you measured during your marathon pace run... i believe that this is not your optimal marathon pace! you are actually much faster. otherwise, after tapering, your marathon will feel like a walk, that's not what you want, right?

Stephen Lacey said...

Remember, Christian, I am about 100 years older than you. Theoretically, yes, if I am maximally trained, my highest possible marathon heart rate could be around 160 to 165. But my old legs make it hard to undertake the training required to reach the level of maximally trained. They will also fatigue completely during the marathon if I go too much faster than that pace. So your observation is partly correct, but there are other limitations to your sustainable pace than the condition of your aerobic system. Certainly yesterday my aerobic system was doing it pretty easily, but I was starting to enter a phase of muscle fatigue that would have started making things interesting.

Ewen said...

For me I think it would have to be Sat 30th or Sunday 31st - have to see what 2P reckons. It'd be good to run from the start out to Cox's (15.5k) and back to Megalong Rd (6k), maybe 4k up to the top of Mini Mini and back as well to get a 'taste' of the hill.

Re the HRs and "fully trained". My half was at the pace of the 87% level in the Hadd test - don't think I could do a full at that. More likely the 82% level - if fully trained!