Thursday, April 06, 2006

Whistling Sweet Dixie

I have no idea why I used that title. It just sounded like a good way of saying that there is not much going on. But it probably means something else. Just like my bling blunder.

Anyway, had a run with some fun Namban guns last night. Mika until she went to the track, Colin, Satohi, Keren, and Stuart. Satohi is going to run Lake Toya (Hokkaido) marathon in late May and I am helping her to manage her training load and training intensities via her heart rate monitor. So Colin and I hooked up with her and helped her run at 80% of heart rate max. That turned out to be about 5:00/km.

That was my first run after Ome and the legs (mainly quads) were still sore. But while I felt them and I definitely didn't want to run hard, they didn't bother me too much running at that pace.

Had another day off today. Tomorrow morning I'll get up early and have a run, but no real plan other than to see how my legs feel. But the important announcent is that I do plan to start a period of speed training for the next four or five weeks. So the mileage might come down, but the intensity go up. It will be interesting to see how that goes.


3 comments:

2P said...

Yep that's my plan at the moment too...

With the new Garmin 305 coming in I might need to get some tips from you on HR training during speed work.

FYI I whistle Dixie all the time ;-)

Tesso said...

Speed training! Aren't you fast enough already?

Here is a link to a list of the Canberra entrants as requested ....

http://www.canberramarathon.com.au/index.php?pageid=80

Stephen Lacey said...

2P: I'm not sure if the HRM is much help in speed training. I think you can use the distance/pace timers to set up some nice intervals without needing a track. Otherwise, all intervals basically start out hard and gradually build. You want to be in the high 80s (percent of HRmax) fairly early in the rep and finish in the low to mid nineties. Tempo runs: 88% of HRmax for 5k is a good place to start.

Tesso: I have a target 5k in May. I guess there will be more about that soon.