Thursday, January 05, 2006

First Update for the New Year (and a quick one at that)

The long and the short is that there has still not been any return to regular running. The rough throat I mentioned in the last post turned into a pretty nasty cold for about a week. Japan shuts down for a number of days over new year, so I mostly spent it resting at home in the traditional manner with my family. I had one decent run on the 3rd of January to Komazawa park -- 14 km mostly at 150+ heart rate. The disconcerting thing was that 4:20 pace was returning a heart rate of 154 to 159, whereas before my marathon I was running 4:09 pace at a heart rate of 152. So I have certainly lost some condition over this period of rest. But that's OK, my body needed it. Most of the niggles have settled right down now, so I can ease back into some bigger mileage again I suppose. I am about to run home tonight and will return the journey in the morning.

Still no email at home, so apologies for my tardy corresponding.

2 comments:

Katie said...

A nice restfulr Christmas and New year.... sounds perfect! I bet it is cold now too. I hope you have all settled in well. I am sure your fitness will return very quickly and thank you for the rest.

Tesso said...

At least the sore throat hit after your marathon. Sounds like the rest has done you the world of good anyway.

Looking forward to when you are fully back in action both running and blogging.