Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Daytime Palace Run

A combination of getting to bed late, leg worries, and cold weather conspired to make me easily choose not to get up for an early run. But I got myself moving and into work earlier, running gear packed. I worked through the regular lunch hour adn then set out at around 2:00 to catch the warmest part of the day -- if you call 7 degrees warm.

It is an 800 m warm-up jog from my office to the Hanzomon gate of the Imperial Palace course. It is a 5-k loop and I set off at a steady pace and was quickly at a heart rate of 140. As  I warmed up more and got into the run this soon reached into the low 150s and high 150s on the uphill. The first lap was 21:54 (4:23/km) and the average heart rate was 148. I just kept up the same rhythm into the second lap and that was right on 22 minutes, or 4:24/km and average heart rate of 155.  This clearly tells me, as I have been saying, that I am way off the desired 4:00/km pace that I'd like to run a half marathon at.

The leg was not too bad before I set off, but was a constant presence through the run. I don't think it really interfered much at that pace, but I think it does hamper me from going much faster. Or is that just the lack of fitness?

Anyway, 11.56 km all up at an overall average pace of 4:37/km, though the warm up and cool down drag that down a lot.


3 comments:

2P said...

Still got 2 weeks till the event. My 2 cents worth is if you want to get to your 4 min pace for a half keep the rest of your sessions short and really quick (if the leg will take it) - say 8k at most with maybe one hit out at 15k. Then rely on your substantial base to get you through the distance on race day.

Wow 7 degrees - heatwave ;-)

Clairie said...

Hi Stephen,

Met our friend Colin this morning - lovely chap.

We did an 8km run together. I thought he was amazing running that long is such heat this morning without water (I had to stop and have a quick drink for 15sec).

But with 1km to go he pulled over hallucinating that the tree was a water fountain and tried to turn it on hee hee.

He ended up finding the actual water fountain and made it home just behind me.

Can't believe you have such cold weather and you can still manage outdoor running!!!

zihuatanejo said...

That's good to know you are Genki, Steve. But it's not easy to keep running without injury, isn't it?
My condition is getting better though, I got new 5 fingers socks for the race. Looking forward to running this weekend.
Ganbatte---, Satohi