Monday, December 05, 2005

Sunday, short 'n chilly in the park

Sunday morning and I had grand plans of running 20 km. Nothing fast, just a steady 20 k. But I dunno, lack of resolve and motivation conspired against it. I was running with Jim at a leisurely 5:30/km. He stopped when I got to 10 km (four laps), so I did one more lap at a brisker pace, around 4:30/km, and then I just thought oh bugger it, that'll do. Actually, I miscounted the laps, thinking it was 15k. A grand total of 35 km for the week. But that's OK. I'd rather have a couple of light weeks, lose a bit of condition and let the body get totally injury free rather than stay at a peak of fitness but carrying niggling injuries.

The rest of the day I took apart an old kitchen hutch thing we have to throw away before the move and I also brewed a bock beer. Did a mini-mash with 1 kg of light Munich malt and also added about 150 g of crystal and 40 g of chocolate malt. Just a tad under 20 L at an OG of 1.060. Just used the Saflager 34/70 yeast that came with the kit. It will only just get fermented in time to transfer to kegs before the move. At home by myself, kids at NHK and church, I enjoyed the peace and quiet, but unfortunately overlooked the fact that the Fukuoka International Men's Marathon was on TV. Wriggler Guy from Osaka put up a great series of in-progress posts on Cool Runnings which I discovered today. A very "Doh!" moment.

3 comments:

2P said...

It's always a fine balance after a big gig between being too fired up and injuring yourself and falling into a malaise and losing the plot.

I really don't think a couple of easy weeks are going to knock your fitness around any, in fact I'd say your overall health, particularly your endocrine system will benefit immensly in the longer-term.

I see you have some new events to train for, but what is your next really big gig?

Tesso said...

Mmmmmm beer :-)

You'll be happy to know I've dug out and dusted off the heart rate monitor! I've even used it already - I strapped it on to monitor my resting heart rate while slugging it in front of the tele.

I promise I will use it for training soon once I figure out how again.

Clairie said...

How funny, I just had to comment when you made mention of Guys post on CR. I found it very lateish as well but what fascinating reading to get the whole blow by blow - even days afterwards :)