Monday, December 12, 2005

Monday run to work

With my work clothes already at work from running home Friday, I was all primed to run to work this morning. This would be the first time in this direction. The logistics are a bit different than running home, because you need to have grooming utensils and all the right bits of clothes. I ended up forgetting a singlet, but will survive that oversight. I need to pack a washcloth of some sort too. As a trial run it went pretty well. Left home at about ten to eight, about 20 minutes later than I would have liked (Kohta's birthday slowed me down a bit). Ran the usual way along Gaien Nishi Dori, then at Hiroo I tried to get off the main street, but couldn't pick my way through the back streets and soon got dumped back onto Gaien Nishi. Then went up through the guts of Aoyama cemetary, which is much better than the footpath alternative over that section, and then crossed Aoyama Dori to run up some ginko-tree-lined avenue in the direction of the National Stadium/Shinanomachi. The ginko leaves are bright yellow and formed a full yellow carpet over the ground. It made a really pleasant interlude and almost made me think for a moment that I was living in one of the nice cities of the world. Got to work and showered and hit my chair and turned on the 'puter right on 9:00. About 50 minutes of travel time and 43 minutes of actual running time. Seven minutes of traffic lights!  I think leaving half an hour earlier would make a big difference to the comfort of the run. Fewer school kids on the footpaths and maybe even fewer stoppages at lights. We'll see.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Nice run, Stephen, amongst the ginko trees; they are one of my favourites.

I hope you & all the family have a wonderful Christmas, with a break from work & even running!

2P said...

Glad to hear the longer runs are coming and you won't have to stare pensively into the distance for very much longer :-)

That's how I do my runs into work to - leg 1 run home, leg 2 run in - does take some organising though.

Katie said...

Those ginko trees look spectacular. Ray and I have a great photo of us sitting amoungst all the yellow leaves... ahh I want another holiday!