Saturday, December 10, 2005

A little bit of running

Wow, it is hard to get back into running after the marathon. I had a good interval workout on Wednesday, but then had to really make an effort to organize myself so I could run home from work last night. It wasn't a bad run. In the vicinity of 10.5 km at varying pace, but averaged around 5:00/km overall. It was cold and I had the MP3 player going with Jimmy Hendrix blasting away. I don't really like running with music separating me from my environment, the tangle of wires, but on this particular run, work to home along busy Nishi-gaien dori (street) in the middle of the evening, people out for the evening, the right music gives it a kind of surreal or amusement park type of feel. And Jimmy did just fine. When people step suddenly out of bars or subway exits without looking, right in front of me, as they invariably do, I dunno, it just gives me more calm and patience. "Oh I don't care, if the hippies cut off all their hair. Oh I don't mind. I don't mind". Cool, Jimmy!

I love Bloglines!  Such a newbie to RSS and aggregation and all that that I am. Just before writing this I looked at my feeds and saw a post from PLU that mentioned there was a thread going on Cool Runnings Australia about the Coast to Kosciuscko run in Australia. I've been too busy to look at CR much lately, so had lost track of the fact it was on. Awesome stuff! The thread even includes links to a couple of podcasts of telephone conversations with crew. Listening to one with Mr G. as I type this. Great work, Plu!!

2 comments:

2P said...

It is great stuff listening into the podcasts on the C2K.

I never listen to music when I run - but it I did - Hendrix is a pretty good choice :-)

Katie said...

I can sympathise with you there... since my holiday I can not seem to quite get myself organised for my early pre work runs. I had it down to a fine art!

"amusement park feel" that sums up nicely lots of our expereinces in Japan... great description!

Never fear you will be back into the swing pretty quickly!