Thursday, April 12, 2007

Grumble bum

Starting with the most important thing first: Good luck to everybody running marathons this week!! Scott and Yoshida-san in Nagano; Don, Satohi, Leng Leng, and Aya and Keith in Boston; Tesso, P Allen and a swag of other Aussies in Canberra, and I think there may be a wee preggers Scottish lass running a 10k in Canberra as well. And what is that bloody Clairie doing? The other preggers runner? Is she running something in Canberra? Cheer-squading? I dunno what, but I'm sure she'll be putting a smile on somebody's face, just like she did the other day.

Things have been pretty busy for me of late. Had a fair bit of work on and been taking on too many extra-curricular activities, not necessarily running related. Hence the low activity on Bloggus variegatus, as a certain half-pint harrier decided to remind me last night.

Running itself has been bumping along. I have not been forcing my training at all. I had a 17 km week followed by a 60 km week followed by a 49 km week...no runs longer than 10 to 12 km until last Sunday, when I ran 22 km with Satohi and Rie as Satohi's last major run before Boston. Wednesday week ago I ran a 6 x 1000 m interval workout with the Horde. Coughed and spluttered to a 3:49 on the first rep, then settled into a more business-like set ranging from 3:39 for no. 2 down to 3:31 for no. 6, but the rest around 3:35 to 3:36. I was pretty happy with that actually. Then last night we did the Namban mile (5:52 min for me) followed by a couple of 800s (2:52 and 2:49). After a little break we then (and this was my idea) ran four laps by jogging the curves and sprinting the straights. It was a good workout and quite a few people enjoyed the variation.

The grumble-bum title refers to two things mainly. 1) I have been hoping that the lower key approach to running would see the niggles in my left leg clear up. They haven't. I guess they are not as bad as they were, but it appears that nothing short of complete rest for God knows how long would fix them up. And since they don't really bother me that much, other than to act as a throttle on how hard I can train, I really don't want to stop cold turkey. So then it becomes a mental battle between just carrying on at a low-key level (and hoping they continue to improve) and actually ramping up a bit with a view to a couple of upcoming shorter races. Maybe I just have to push aside silly human pride and maintain the low-volume, low-intensity training and take poorer results in the races. But I certainly wasn't thinking that when I went out and ran 12 km at around 4:15-4:20/km pace tonight. Which brings me to grumble bum reason number 2) ...new paragraph needed...

Yesterday afternoon just before I went to the track I finished editing a 20-page scientific paper. I'd been working on it on my Creative MuVo TX FM, using it as a thumb drive. Not backing it up of course, I'm f$%%ing hopeless like that. When will I learn? Oh, I am foreshadowing what happened next. Yes, when I went to do a final read-through and send it to the client this morning, bloody device would not connect. The computer was saying "Device not formatted, shall we format it now?" NO!! Bastard, don't do that! Tried another computer, same. Checked the mfr forum on the Internet ... oh crap, there is no way around it except to re-format the device and reload firmware, which wipes all the data. So I spent the day completely re-editing the paper (and a shit of a paper it was, too). I finally made a slightly extended deadline. Now, you can shrug your shoulders and accept that, but then I remembered that I had been operating my running log off this device for the last couple of months. So I am going to lose a lot of data from that. I have a backup of it from a couple of months ago, but this is still going to muck up all my monthly and yearly tallies and so on. You'd think I'd learn because I lost quite a big chunk of the log when a hard disk crashed 18 months or so ago. Grrr...there were a couple of other things I lost, including a few important Internet banking passwords in my Password manager application. Dumbkopf, dumbkopf! So, that's why I am a grumble bum tonight and had to go for a hard run to try and work out a bit of aggro. Not sure if it worked. The several glasses of amber lager have helped a little though...oh well, life goes on I suppose. But if anybody has any clues as to things I might try to get at the data in my device, please let me know. I have not re-formatted it yet.

8 comments:

plu said...

HI Stephen,

Can't help you with much. I have tried different computers different drives....

As for the running I can identify with the niggle. For me increased pace does it, increased distance /time does it and now cycling even contributes.

Cold turkey is the go I reckon if we want to keep running for years to come. But gee it is hard not to run. I caught my self running to the bin on the beach today as I was dumping my diet coke (to keep the weight down while I am not running) ...just testing the niggle and it was still there.

I am taking some solace in one of George Sheehan's books Running and Being (1978).

So I am absolutely no help at all but I feel for and can identify with your situation.

cheers PLu

Tesso said...

Oh no, I'd be spewing!!!! Then again if I ran 12k at 4:15-4:20 I would be happy ... though I may also be spewing if you know what I mean.

Thanks for the good luck wishes.

Ingo said...

Dude, found this on the web:

"Mine is creative Mp3 muvo and my pc couldnt find it anymore, then what i did.. hold on the MENU button of my muvo mp3 for like 5 secs and then choose reset system.. u will reset the system of your mp3 and then u scandisk it on windows and its done!"

There're also a few more tips in the middle of the thread (search for ALEX). Might be worth reading through.

Losing data is terrible and always a shock. I once lost my entire mailfile but later realized that losing data is most often less painful that you first think. You'll eventually even feel lighter since you don't have to clean up and archive everything. It's like forced spring cleaning. Live goes on without data.

Maybe good thing you lost your recent training log - now you have no reference anymore and have to think about it again. Don't get attached to your running history. Look forward mate! Portfolio managers do that sometimes when they think they are too attached to their positions. They clean it all out and start over with fresh ideas.

Samurai Running said...

Nice whine Stephen, cheese goes better with that than beer, you know;)

I may be telling you something you already know and /or wrong about what your talking about, but if I lose data or crash my computer I do a recovery to the day or hour before the problem occurred and get my data back that way.

Hope you can get it back I know how painful that is.

Thanks for the cherrio for Sunday.

2P said...

Mate not even Ted Bullpit would have as much reason to be a grumble bum as you with that story!

I know what you mean about niggles and training - must try running again someday myself....

Ewen said...

Looks like you have some info already Steve. There are companies over here that recover data from hard drives, so you should have the same.

Great story! Now, where's a blank DVD?

Oh yes, I recommend 2 slow runs a week for 6 months - that way I might be able to keep up on a training run ;)

Unknown said...

Poor old Grumble Bum! Hope you found a way to recover the lost data, Steve!

MilesandMiles said...

Sorry to hear what happened to you. The same thing happened with my masters dissertation when i was in college. I had to re-tyoe it from a hard copy! Creative products don't seem to work well. Leng Leng has bought 2 Creative MP4/thumbdrive and 1 of the device was defective!!