Friday, August 25, 2006

...oops

Sometimes I provide just a little too much detail. Sorry Tesso. I'll be more circumspect in future.

Had a good run on Wednesday night. Fifteeen kilometers made up of an aerobic 7km in Yoyoyogi Park followed by 3 x 1600m repeats on the track at 88-90% of HRmax with 400 m active recovery, followed by another couple of km of aerobic stuff. Gareth and I offered this to the group as a stamina-workout alternative to the shorter, more intense ladder interval workout. We had a nice little group of about six of us doing it. I hope to gradually increase the number of reps to five, maybe even six, as the preparation for an autumn marathon progresses. For what its worth my reps were 6:11, 6:06, and 6:04. A sign of either lack of fitness or the heat, and certainly a sign that three repeats was enough, was a considerably higher average and maximum heart rate (as percent of max) on the third rep: 87/91; 87/95; 91/97.

I have been teaching a writing course this week (Wed and today) and it has taken a lot of preparation. I was in the office until 11:00 last night getting organized for today. I feel a bit washed out and ready for a break. Didn't run yesterday but will do 10 km later this afternoon. It is fortuitous that this weekend is the overnight trip to the foothills of Mount Fuji to enjoy the Fuji Yoshida Fire Festival and associated 20 km road race on Sunday. I don't think I will be exactly "racing" as it is likely to be hot, and I am not in particularly good shape. I'm treating it as basically just a chance to get away for the weekend with some mates. It should be fun.

2 comments:

Tesso said...

Good luck in the 20k!

Fire festival ... it sounds so good I'm expecting some pics :-)

Ewen said...

Enjoy the weekend away with your mates Steve.

[a perfect amount of detail] ;)