Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Mixed Success

Had an interesting run of mixed fortunes this morning. The temperature was down a touch--only 26 degrees instead of 29 (at 6 AM mind you). Anyway, that was enough that the body didn't try to shut down as soon as I broke out of a walk. I was able to do 14 km in 67:35 at anaaverage HR of 75% and the second half at 80%. There was certainly still cardiac drift such that the second 2.15 km lap of Komazawa at HR80% was 9:44 versus 9:29 for the first.  This was definitely a lot better than last week when it was really hard work to keep the heart rate down to 80% and the corresponding two laps took 9:59 and 10:21 (the humidity and heat of that run were insane!)

On the down side, I had a bit of tummy trouble and had to stop twice mid run, once to make a delivery at a convenience store, and again to blow out some blocked tubes after I got to the park. Then I had another sudden pain only one km from home which saw me only just make it to the thunderbox on time. Blech, that's the one thing I don't like about running in the mornings.

Oh, and the leg continues to behave itself (touch wood!)

2 comments:

Tesso said...

Thanks for sharing Steve ;-)

Ewen said...

Steve, I suppose "thunderbox" is now entrenched as a part of Japanese slang.