Thursday, December 20, 2007

Two nice runs

My last two runs were very nice. Last night was 6 km of warm up in Yoyogi Park with assorted Namban friends, after which we moved to the track for the weekly Namban interval workout. The schedule called for a ladder workout of 800, 1200, 1600, 1200, 800, 400 metres. I felt really smooth, relaxed and kind of fast. I suppose the cool but still 8 degrees Celsius and the funky just purchased AdiZero CS 3 WD shoes (6,990 yen from B&D Pro Sports Authority in Yoyogi) may have had something to do with it. My times (in pace) for those reps were: 3:30, 3:31, 3:34, 3:35, 3:22, 3:03. I felt fairly comfortable throughout and simply enjoyed this workout.

Due to the gym being closed and other commitments I had to either rest today or run before work. Getting to bed at 12 midnight was not a good portent for an early start, but I set the watch for 6:00 am anyway with the thought of doing an easy 10 km. Somehow I woke up fairly easily, got the shiny, happy shoes on and clicked the watch at 6:12. Surprisingly, my legs felt very little fatigue from the intervals and I simply rolled through the run, starting out at around 5:00/k for the first few km, gradually easing up to 4:30/k and staying around that level until I touched down at home with 12 km in my dilly bag for the log book. It was also a startlingly beautiful morning to be out and about.

I'm now starting to wonder what kind of shock to the system it will be to suddenly have to run in Australian summer conditions next week. Just looking at the weather forecasts, though, it seems quite mild with daily ranges of 21 to 26 or so. Sounds pretty nice actually.

2 comments:

Joachim said...

Steve,
was great seeing you at the track.
Have fun in Australia, don't worry, everything will be OK. You trained a lot in the Japan heat this year already. Paddy was really fast, I agree. Could watch him staying with you without any effort! Well, my workout was a mess but the advantage was that I could watch Namban track training...
Take care and see you next year,

Joachim

Ewen said...

Nice session Steve. My immediate goal for 800m is now 2:47.

Thanks for breaking the drought - the wet weather has arrived ahead of you. 17C this morning, which I guess is nice. Probably warmer in Sydney.

Good guess - my camera phone is a Sony Ericsson. One of those excellent Japanese products now made in China ;)