Thursday, December 13, 2007

Going for goal Part II



I left an important part out of that last post. I mentioned how I am travelling with the training. And generally I give myself 7/10. The lost marks are due to the effects of not being quite as successful on the socializing front. It is end-of-year party season here in Japan. Last Saturday we had our running club end-of year bash (bonenkai), which was a self-catered pizza, salad, sushi, snacks, and copious amounts of booze affair. I organized a partner race (run to an allotted pace for 6 km with no watch) in the afternoon, and when announcing the winners at the party startled everybody by stripping down to my Namban vest and shorts...hee hee. It was a wonderful, happy and ever so slightly boozy party. I got home well after midnight and was not terribly fit the the next day. Late morning I ventured out to run to Renald's place (photo credit and fellow who hosted the party) to see if I could help clean up. But it was all done and I just had to keep on running. I covered about 16 km at a very slow, gingerly pace. Every minute of that run felt like 5. I was also so knackered on Monday that I just didn't even try to run. Score one for the parties.

Then on Tuesday night I had a farewell party with my two English conversation classes. I will not be able to continue the classes when I start my new job. So we went to a craft beer bar, and well, I had a few craft beers and a jolly good time. Actually, the next morning I wasn't too bad. I couldn't get up and run at 5:30, but I ate into work time and did that tempo run in the gym that I mentioned in the last post. So not too bad really.

Tomorrow I have my main company bonenkai, which will also have an element of farewell party for me. The evil co-workers will be hoping to see me written off. We will be going to a restaurant in Roppongi, which is a place I prefer to stay well clear of. Anyway, I will just have to be strong and limit myself to a few glasses of better quality sake.

My boss also wants to take me out next Monday night for a farewell drink. They like to mark occasions over a drink.

So, the season is presenting plenty of shoals upon which my training is frequently threatening to be dashed. But so far I have escaped with only minor damage to the hull. Sta tuned for the next exciting installment.

6 comments:

Samurai Running said...

Hey Stephen

It's not a good time to be training but you can't knock these parties back. I'm just trying to go home a little early but like you without much success.

It's a pity that you have to give up your conversation classes. What's the new job? If I was in Tokyo I'd gladly handle your privates. Private students that is ;)

Tesso said...

You sound like you are getting in some good partying training for your trip to Aus :-)

Pete said...

I think you've hit on the ideal compromise that honors both partying and running: wear your running kit to parties!

Pete

Ewen said...

Lots of bonenkais down here too :) I hope the hull stands up to the abuse - we don't want to be reading about an oil slick off the coast of Japan.

Watch out Steve... I think Scott has been taking lessons from Toasty's Tony!

Joachim said...

Steve,
heard you got a cold. Get well soon and relax. Enjoy your time in Australia,

cheers
Joachim

Samurai Running said...

Hey Stephen

You gave me some advice the other day and I want to follow it.

"Don't forget to get some of those cheap gels with the maltodextrin in them to help with the carbo loading."

But I'm not sure where to get those gels you mentioned? Do they have a brand name? Thanks, appreciate if you could let me know.

Thanks again

Scott