Sunday, August 19, 2007

Salvaging something from the week

Mon - 2 km (had to pull up short due to a macerated gut)
Tue - enforced rest
Wed- enforced rest
Thur- 5.6 km easy to lower aerobic on treadmill (feeling delicate and tentative)
Fri: 7.7 km easy in local park (condition still a bit delicate)
Sat: 12.1 km lower aerobic to Komazawa park, 2 laps & home
Sun 22 km trail run with a dip in the river after. Body fine.
Total: 49.7 km

Wow, you'd think I could have found another 300 m somewhere!!

The good news is that I seem to be pretty much back to normal, though I still need to be a bit careful. I guess I will be reverse tapering and will not be chasing a 100+ km week this week...I'll settle for 98 ;-)

Darn Achilles is still yapping.

3 comments:

Clairie said...

Take care of the wee wee tract!!!

Don't want you getting off track with an injury or infection there..

Whats the go with the niggling achilles? Can you stretch it or does it get better once you are warmed up?? I have heard so many say the achilles can put you out of running for months. Not something I would wish on anyone.

Going from 50 - 98km in one week is not recommended. Maybe aim for 70 with no additional speedwork.

Ewen said...

Clairie, he doesn't do speedwork. Just 'upper aerobic' runs ;)

At least go for 100.3 - 150 for the fortnight.

Maybe a shoe change might help the achilles? I swap between the Frees and Asics. I credit the Frees for curing a long-standing achilles niggle.

MilesandMiles said...

My achilles also feels a bit tender after 3 weeks of higher mileage. Definitely something to watch... I have regretfully reverted to heavier cushy shoes... i was hoping that gradually switching to lighter shoes would make the foot/tendons etc,,, stronger but given i do most of my mileage on concrete, i think it is safer...