Friday, August 17, 2007

KER-SplaTT!

That is the sound of egg hitting face.

I cringe when I read my last post.

This week, rather than continuing to "cruise" and churn out the miles, I have been meekly nursing a delicate part of my male anatomy...and running...well, not very much at all. In some ways that is fortunate as we are having a heat wave this week which has seen the mercury in the mid 30s all week...it even topped 40 in a few places yesterday.

If you don't want a more detailed explanation of my medical situation. Then please close the tab now. But for those with a stronger constitution, feel free to read on.

Originally a couple of weeks ago, I had soreness and a lump in my epididymis. It seemed to settle down pretty quickly but I was put on antibiotics just to be sure. It is a reasonably common thing to happen to the man bits.

Then I had the good running week last week, albeit that some of the runs were in quiet warm conditions and much sweat was produced. During the trail run on Saturday I felt a strong discomfort like I needed to take a pee, only a bit painful as well, and it came back quickly after taking one. It was just like a bladder infection (cystitis), but it settled down when I stopped running.

Then during my running on Sunday the sensation returned, and when I did take a pee, blood came out!! Hell!! I was a bit shocked by that. Things cleared up later in the day after I had a rest. The strange thing was, as I did mention in that last post, apart from that, I felt so good during the run.

I went to the doctor again on Monday and he thought it was probably being caused by stones in my ureters. He got me to have an x-ray, but it didn't confirm anything. So he just said to keep taking the antibiotics and drink lots of fluid (and don't run for a few days). I felt quite doughy on Monday and Tuesday and the epididymis thing seemed to flare up again. I then started improving on Wednesday and Thursday (last night). Thursday I ventured for a short run on the treadmill and this morning (Fri) a slow 7 km around the neighborhood.

So, what was that I was saying about a knife-edge?

Unfortunately the doc also made me keep taking antibiotics and to stay off alcohol. I am almost a teetotaller!

The question that is burning in my mind is whether the attack had anything to do with the running I'd been doing the week before, or simply came on and obviously was exacerbated by the running. Either way, I do need to tread carefully for a while.

6 comments:

Ewen said...

Glad you're back on the knife-edge Steve.

It could have something to do with heat/dehydration. Keep the fluids up - carry water on long runs. I had the same thing happen myself a few years ago when training for a marathon in the heat of summer.

Christian said...

お大事に!(get well soon.)
it might have something to do with the running, however, frankly, i doubt it. the way you train, well-prepared, right heart rate, right pace, right nutrition... it actually should not harm too much, right?
on the other hand, everything is somehow related...

MilesandMiles said...

Get well soon Steve. A low week every 3-4 weeks is generally recommanded anyway. Especially for "mature" runners like us...

Tesso said...

Why is it I can never resist reading on when the author warns me about doing so.

Youch!

Ingo said...

It's all in the heat I guess. I was never prone to abdominal pains but last week also unsettled this department in my case. I cannot think of other paramters that were "extrem" enough to throw my well balanced systme off the track.

Rachel said...

Yowie! I couldn't stop myself reading on either! Last thing I would have expected from overtraining!

Oh yeah, I was wandering how your son has been going in Oz?