Thursday, December 21, 2006

Things not quite tickety boo

Well, I don't like to be a grizzle-guts, so I haven't said much lately. Things were kind of going along OK last week. I did an upper aerobic run in the park on the Wednesday night, then a rest on Thursday, partly enforced by a year-end party. Then I ran home on Friday night and had a couple of 5 km runs Saturday. So that was all going alright. Then on Sunday morning it was supposed to be the Magical Mystery Tour. Due to some sudden family issues I wasn't able to join that, but could squeeze in 18 km at a reasonable pace. During that run in particular, my old knee(?) niggle flared up. The one I'd moaned about prior to Ohtawara but managed to just keep under control. I had to run back to work on Monday morning (see above re: the previous Friday night) and it hurt during that run. So then I rested it Tuesday and tried to run again last night. But bugger me, it is still sore. I ran six km of warm-up and started the interval session but had to quit. It is such a bummer because apart from this I am running the faster stuff really well and things would be right on track to do a few more speed sessions before going back to strength and endurance.

Change of plans needed. It isn't a joint problem, so that is one thing in my favour. It is in the fleshy/tendony area at the rear and above my knee. So kind of below the hamstring and to the medial (inside) side. I think it is a tendon inflammation type of thing and it may even be related to my lower back issues. So I am thinking very seriously now, if I can get a release of funding, to visit a chiro-cum-acupuncture dude whose clinic is not far from where I work. At 6,000 yen (A$70) a pop it isn't cheap, but it is cheaper than the 12,000 yen (A$135) a pop for an Australian physiotherapist practising in this city (growing fat off the back of well-insured expatriates).

At the same time, my company has soome vouchers to a sports club near the train station I use, so I am thinking of seeing whether I can cut back to three runs per week and then spend a couple of sessions on the stationary bike, pool and weights. It might at least let me get through Tokyo. I am sure this puts paid to my hopes of raising the level of training to be able to run a really good time at Tokyo. But that's OK, it is more important to me to run it than to run a record time.

9 comments:

2P said...

Sounds like a good plan mate - look after it.

Ewen said...

That's bad news Steve. Are you using anti-inflam creams? There are some strong ones which might help on such an injury.

The 3 runs plus cross-training should get you there - as long as the knee holds up for the long run. Good luck.

Clairie said...

The magic of running is that we are constantly faced with the need to change plans and tactics.

It is good that you have the forewarning (and sense) to review the Tokyo plan and get used to the idea that it may not be the fastest race of the year. There is still time to review that though, but first thing is first and we need to get you through this hiccup.

Lots of ice, stretching and the gym sounds great. Does the eliptical machines offer any value to you? I used them when I had ITB and they were great - kept form but didn't exacerbate the injury.

If you are still in pain close to Tokyo well we will have to come up with a new plan. ie - carton of VB on the start line will see you get through pain free :)

Thinking of you during Christmas. Hope it is not too much bad weather.
It is hot hot hot hot hot here...so no complaints except the heat lol.

Lots of love to you and yours, oh year and rub the voltaren on as well.

Can you email me your postal address? I have photos to send over.

God Bless,
Clairie

Ingo said...

Steve, check out Gordon's blog. There you'll find a lot on his ordeal and his odyssey to get things fixed in Tokyo (http://tvvas.blogspot.com/).

And you're not the only one to cut the Tokyo Marathon goals. We often talked about it and in my case I really cannot warm up to running an ambitious race in February. It's just not the right timing to peak.

Good luck with the cross training; but very often it also helps to take an aggressive long break from working out - say one full week of rest. It worked twice for me this year!

Ingo said...

Just came across this post - it's about rest and taking days off:

http://championseverywhere.blogspot.com/2006/12/daws-was-right.html

GKK said...

Steve, I've been to a few places that might be able to help. I might even have the same pain as you - both in front and behind my left knee.

The Aussie physios are VERY good, depite being ridiculously expensive. Worth going once.

A good massuer is a place called Route Vigor in Hiro-o. Make sure you get the sensei (I have his name somewhere) and ask for deep tissue sports massage.

A cheap and good alternative is shiatsu massage at K's Massage in Ebisu. 4500 yen a go, and the kid who speaks English there is excellent. I forgot to ask his name, but he is worth seeing a few times. He's young but really commited to looking after people. He went away and researched my hip pain. I was impressed.

As you can see, massage is my preference. Chiro is great, but at the end of the day, if your muscles are pulling your bones out of place you've got to tackle the root of the problem with some bloody painful massage.

Tesso said...

Oh bugger. Hopefully Santa will bring you a new knee for Christmas, maybe two if you've been really good.

The sports club idea is a good one. When I had an achilles injury a few years ago I was reduced to water running for a couple of months, it sure helps keep some level of fitness ... and sanity. One lady I used to see in the pool trained for Boston Marathon almost exclusively water running and still managed a 3:20 (probably only 10 mins slower than otherwise expected). So it can be done.

2P said...

Merry Christmas Steve ;-)

Samurai Running said...

It frustrating yes, but not a done deal yet. Try the above and more and with your present level of fitness you may get away with a shorter build up and still run really well in Tokyo.

Let us know how it goes we might be able to put this right.

Merry Christmas to you and yours and thanks for your continued support.