Monday, December 04, 2006

A brief update

The scare with my lower left leg has passed. I ran an easy 10 km with friends on Friday night and while the tenderness appeared, it wasn't very bad. Another 10 km on Saturday afternoon, some of it at around 4:30 to 4:40/km and again, no problems. Then Sunday I faced up to the ritual of the long run with the ambitious plan of perhaps racking up a mighty 15 km. I was happy to knock over a leisurely 20k in 1 hour 47 min and no sign of injuries (though my lower back was a bit stiff from a day of brewing on Saturday).

The pins are now feeling pretty good, but I will still not push the issue this week. Just try to get in some modest aerobic distance while joining the 6 x 1000s on Wednesday night. No ambitious mileage targets. We have our club bonnenkai (year-end party) on Saturday and I will be helping organise an "Inspire Your Partner" race to precede the party. More on that later.

6 comments:

TD said...

Great to see that scare has passed and that you could run an easy 10k.

Love what you said about your running friends being so enriching to you, after family. Ditto for me too, and it as been one of the great revelations since I became more socially orientated with my running earlier this year. Connecting with other runners is tremendously rewarding.

I was in Tokyo for work in late September without realising there was fellow Aussie runners entrenched there. Tokyo's a beaut spot and there's a chance I could be back early in the new year.

Ewen said...

Does 'while joining' mean you're going to run 6k with no rest?

Anyway, your 4:30/40 pace for an easy 10k inspires me to aim for that in my next race!

P.S. buggered beta.blogger is working for the moment ;)

Tesso said...

I just noticed Tokyo is just over 10 weeks away. Gees these things come around quickly! So take it easy, we want you to stay in one piece this time.

Clairie said...

Fabulous news Stephen. Now you just have to hold it all together for 75 more days.

2P said...

Great news on the pins Steve - go, go, Tok-a-yo ;-)

Samurai Running said...

Hi Stephen

You, and me, will have to balance all the end of year parties
with our preparation for Tokyo. There is a risk of over doing it so we will have to watch out for that.

Like Tesso said It's coming around quickly. Stay warm!