Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Upper A1

That's the name I use in the rs200sd for this morning's programmed upper aerobic workout, which can be written out as: run at 70-75% of HRmax for 2.5 km to warm up, then run at 80-87% (mainly lower 80s) of HRmax for 11.5 km, then cool down for 1 km at 65-70%.

However, those distances are based on running three laps of Komazawa, but I miscalculated and ran four. So I ended up with 12.5 km at 80% and a bit over 16 km all up and overall HRavg of 147 (79%). The laps after hitting the park were as follows:

Lap 1: 0:9:24 (avg HR 80%)
Lap 2: 0:9:18 (83%)
Lap 3: 0:9:19 (81%)*
Lap 4: 0:9:13 (84%)
(one lap is 2.15 km)
*: 5-min toilet break during lap

Couple of observations pertinent to recent discussions. Using a distance/pace measuring device nicely frees you from having to worry about marked distances on your course. So I could program this workout with changes to occur when it suits me, not when a convenient marker comes up on the run. Same too with the ability to use pace as a controlling parameter instead of heart rate (as per the interval session last Saturday). This comment relates to a conversation with a friend who owns a Timex Speed-Distance system but has found he doesn't use the GPS because he always runs on courses with marked distances. I'm not sure if it is that I feel I have to justify my purchase by using it, but Saturday's run and today's run do show how speed and distance mesurement functions can be put to good use even if you do have a measured course.

The other comment relates to a Cool Running thread about some people feeling unable to run without their PMP (personal music player -- just to keep it generic). I can't relate. Running at a fairly stiff pace like this, I have no need at all for music or other distractions. I am much happier listening to my body, letting my thoughts wander, thinking about the run, and being connected with the surroundings. The PMP is for coping with the crowded train to and from work.

3 comments:

Tesso said...

When running I'd prefer to listen to my PMP than my body as the sound is much more pleasant :-)

Stephen Lacey said...

My body makes the most interesting sounds soon after I wake up, but we probably don't want to go there...

Clairie said...

My PMP drowns out the noises that unfortunately my heavy breathing and pavement pounding cause.

I run with and without my pmp but certainly for races where I run harder and don't talk to others I have my pmp and it also pumps me up if I plan it right.

Mostly though at the beginning and end of a race I turn it off so I can hear/absorb the atmostphere.