Friday, November 04, 2005

Fri AM Cruise intervals

Well, I did have yesterday off. It was a national holiday, Culture Day or something, so not only did I not run, I didn't work either. While I knew my leg needed the rest, it doesn't mean I didn't think about running many times throughout the day! I think there is a slightly dangerous obsessive/addictive stage we go through at this point of a marathon preparation...as is basically reinforced by what I followed up the rest with today.

So this morning I was up and off for a run as usual. I thought maybe a Brute workout would be "fun" if the leg felt like it could handle it. The Brute is a workout I discovered last year. I run up to Komazawa Park, then divide the 2.15 km loop into a 1600 m interval followed by 515 m recovery jog. Repeat times four or five. Given that the stretch from 600 m to 1500 m is slightly uphill, it is a pretty hard workout. When I am in good form I can crank these out consistently at about 6:00 min to 6:05, some repeats can even be below 6:00 min. But although the leg was only "uncomfortable" this morning, I did not run particularly well. The first repeat felt hard enough but was only 6:25. Then the next was 6:06, and a 6:12 and a 6:02. The final one I only ran 1000 m (3:40). Somehow this session just didn't feel right, the leg/groin/hip area was a bit sore, and running home was a bit slower than normal. The hear rae monitor was quite unreliable today. I felt I am showing some definite signs of over-training, so I intend to back off the pace and distance over the weekend. I am not too concerned about the over-training as long as I recover now and that upon recovering I end up stronger. I think that's how it is supposed to work! The real challenge is forcing myself to back off during the individual runs, as I should have last Wednesday, for example.

Actually, over the weekend I will be going away with the company for a bonding trip. We are visiting a hot spring resort at Shimoda on the Izu Peninsular. Maybe there will be photographs in the next post. I hope to have at least one, hopefully two, easy scenic runs while down there.

3 comments:

Tesso said...

Hope the soreness isn't a sign of overtraining. Don't they say better underdone than overdone when it comes ot marathons.

Enjoy the weekend. Looking forward to a pic or two.

2P said...

I may not be a runners left boot strap but I have done a few endurance events in other disciplines in my time.... it is seriously time to consider your taper - you've hit a number of PB's and put in the k's - nothing you do now is going to affect your performance on the 23rd more than being injury free and fresh.

Cheers, 2P

Stephen Lacey said...

Thanks for your thoughts 2P and Tesso. Yes, I am seriously into taper mode now with a view to getting as recovered as possible by the 23rd. I will run for only three reasons now: to maintain the aerobic base (not try to increase it); to practice race pace; and to, occasionally, run short bursts of faster than race pace IF my leg/hip feels up to it.

Aya-chan, hello! Thanks for your vote of confidence, I think sub 2:50 is beyond reach. Sub 2:55 would more than exceed my expectations if I get there, but the most likely outcome is in the range of 2:55 to 2:58.