Sunday, February 03, 2008

Good day for polar bears

This is the scene I woke to out our kitchen window this morning. After chatting with some of the gang yesterday we had decided if it were raining (as vaguely forecast) we would not run at Kanagawa. Not because we are afraid of running in rain, but there is simply no shelter at the race precinct for before/after the race and the grass/earthen assembly area turns into a quagmire. It is cold. It would have been miserable. So when I woke to see a thick blanket of snow and the storm still sending it down, I said right, that's that then and went back to bed.

As the morning unfolded, it turned out there has been even more snow at Kanagawa and the race was in fact cancelled. Good thing I did not stoically head out there to do my pace run. Poor Owain ... I also heard that Ome, the 30 km race he came all the way from Korea to run, has also been cancelled :-(

The snow is still coming down at 10:30, so I think I will be heading out soon to track down a treadmill. This might my longest ever run on a tready.

6 comments:

Joachim said...

Steve, how was your treadmill run? We went to Isogo and hoped for a start but there was no chance. Well, have no treadmill close to my place so today is off... :(

Samurai Running said...

I join a gym this morning, for the first time, in order to use the treadmill. And sat in the spa all afternoon. Lovely. It was snowing all morning here too I was suppose to do an ekiden but glad I didn't go after all.

zihuatanejo said...

Yes, completely agree with you, polar bears could be happy with today's cold weather I was freezing in outside today, though!

Tesso said...

Is that weather likely to hang around for long. What about the marathon!!!

Stephen Lacey said...

No, it stopped late this afternoon. Pretty freakish actually. We only get a day like this about once every couple of winters in Tokyo. There will be snow lying around in drifts for a few days, but the footpaths should be clear by noon tomorrow. Let's hope that it now stays fine through until and including the marathon.

Ewen said...

That's a shame about the half. Just as well you didn't taper and set yourself for a PB!

Good effort on the treadmill, but I don't know mate... I reckon Eric would have called the weather 'moderate' and gone outside - hope you're not going soft. Regarding it being hard the last few km - you weren't exactly rested, and it was humid. Still, maybe 4:06s is asking a bit much for Tokyo - although Clairie will say otherwise I'm sure!