Friday, June 05, 2009

SPEED!!

In this steady spring (merging into summer) build-up I have been meaning to keep a little bit of speedwork in the mix. I didn't do a very good of that in May. The closest I got was a fartlek consisting of a couple of 1.6 km intervals in 6:00 min on the 2nd, the 3-km time trial on the 6th, and the 3-km time trial on the 28th (see last post). Most of my runs were "lower aerobic" with a couple of "upper aerobics", an "easy" or two and one or two barely qualifying as longs. I suppose that is why the improvement in my 3-km time trials was not especially dramatic.

So to try to redress this lack of speed-work, on Wednesday night, two days ago now, I attended the club's 6 x 1000 m interval workout. Oh, the first one felt horrible! I'm glad Joachim was there to drag me around. Somehow I ran faster than 3:50, but I wasn't sure how. Then, miraculously the second one was a totally different kettle of flathead. I went off feeling fast and the breathing much easier. 3:37! That took a bit out of me, but basically I think the cobwebs were blown away and I then ran 3:39, 3:41, and 3:40 before calling it a day (yes, that's only five for those who were counting). But I did run from work to the track and then home from the track for a 15-km day. Almost Hosakesque. But crikey! Nothing like this man, who seems to be training the house down!

3 comments:

TokyoRacer said...

Very good workout, wish I had been there. I did 6 on my own, which was a bit tough (at about 3:47).
Your legs are probably sore, I hope you took it easy yesterday and today.

Ewen said...

From the Times photo, it looks like you're having a cool start to summer - perfect for upping the training to man-like levels. You need to get in touch with your barbaric side Steve!

Actually, 3:40s are a beautiful set of numbers - even if you wimped out at five ;)

Samurai Running said...

Thanks to the example set by you guys I now know what I have to do to get better.

Just keeping my fingers crossed I can make it to the starting line injury free and see the fruits of my labor.

I remember you saying a long time ago that I was more "balanced" in my life with regards to my running compared to you. I took that to mean I wasn't training long or hard enough. Which was certainly the case and why I wasn't getting PBs.

I still don't know how this will all pan out? Will we continue to have to put in ever increasing mileage just to keep within 10 or so minutes of 3hrs, until we finally breakdown? Or will we be able to absorb the extra miles and effort only to be stonger and much faster for it?

Either way there is not going to be much of any "balance" in my life for the next few years.

Sometimes I curse the day that I put down the bag of chips and put out the fags to put on my runners.

Still, I can't and don't ever want to be that person again.