Sunday, May 27, 2007

20k in the hot, hot sun

Well, a lot of it was under cover, and the humidity was mercifully low, but we had a lovely 20k today on a different route to our normal Sunday loops around Yoyogi Park. In temperatures that ranged from 24 at the start to 28 at the finish, about eight of us set out from Hatagaya Station at 8:35 am, ran along the Kandagawa (a "tamed" river) and then to Inokashira Park at Kichijoi, then back towards our starting point along the Tamagawa Josui, a heritage canal built to irrigate the rice paddies of the Tokyo granary some 250 years or more ago. Some of us cut off a few boring km along a major road by jumping on a train, but about half the group completed the full 24 km. After a lightning shower in a sports centre we repaired to a 1000 yen ($10) all you could eat buffet of quite good Indian/Thai dishes. Hmm...

In response to comments on the last post: firstly, thank you all for the kind words. I'll play diplomat between Robert Song and Ewen by saying that it was both. Yes, the residual base from marathon training was very important for endurance while red-lining. But there is no doubt that for that extra bit of fizz on my 5k time I desperately needed the VO2max topping up and mechanical strengthening, form, and leg-turnover provided by the quality interval and tempo sessions included over the last four weeks. Reading Mikes blog and his Mystery Coach's comments over the last several months I have become more wedded to this notion of periodicity in training, especially in the form that the Lydiard system espouses. Weeks of running base mileage, weeks of hills, weeks of sharpening up -- all designed to have you at the best you can be on race day. I also think a few weeks here and there of putting emphasis on speed workouts can also be helpful in making faster aerobic paces more manageable during base building. I haven't really invested the time I should into taking on a full-on Lydiard system, but I am getting a lot from Mike's blog and other sources and will continue to learn and apply what I can. Eric, whose comment I really appreciated, also just ran a sensational debut marathon in Fargo. I strongly recommend you pop into his place and read his riveting report (that alliteration just popped out there, sorry).

One last thing: Ewen, htf are you getting hold of Fat Tire in Canberra? Did you have a friend bring it in from Colorado? Or is it really travelling that far. I've never tried it myself. One day. But then, you've never tried Baird's Spring Bock. So nyeh nyeh! :-) I'd also be happy if you'd go out and drink lots of my friend Mr. C. Zierholz's marvelous libations. Here's to beer!

7 comments:

Ewen said...

Important things first... I brought a six-pack back from Oregon, just for special occassions ;) The northwest is a beer connoisseurs paradise. Moose Drool was one of our other favourites.

Thanks for mediating before I gave Robert a punch in the guts. A nice explanation of how you've arrived at such good form.

I was going to say that I like base mileage, but prefer the Bideau-style year-round mixed training rather than the periodised.

When saying 'marathon training is not neccessary for PBs', I meant the 28-35k weekly runs. I still think 16-24k runs are good for races up to the half marathon distance. Having said that, I do know runners who've run good PBs up to 10k off 4 sessions a week (3 speed-based and 1 steady run of 14k or so).

Keren_m said...

Hey Steve.

You forgot to mention to me about your PB yesterday during the run. NOT!!!!

Good effort that for a cockroach!

From your friendly neighbourhood cane toad!

Pete said...

I read through all the running/training blather on your blog following your PB, Steve, and I'm glad you straightened out the one thing that was really bothering me: was Ewen's fat tyre fat tire amber ale, from New Belgium brewery? And, if so, how did he get it? They don't even distribute here in Maine. After my trail run/torture test yesterday I had to choke down the free beer offering from Gritty (Vacationland) followed by some 90 minute IPA---and a nice nap!

Robert Song said...

I say bring it on Ewen. I laugh at your punch to the guts as it will easily be repelled by my super Pilates hardened abs. ( I will also have that jumper you are lending me under my shirt as added protection. What other use could a jumper have?)

Seriously, I agree whole heartedily with your mediated explanation for a good 5k time. Base + speed = results. I am aware that many runners get good results from other methods but I stick with the Lydiard way as it has always worked for me.

Have you ever read this ? http://web.mit.edu/ducktape/www/run/Hadd.doc

I found it a very good slant on Lydiard base training and takes some of the subjectivity out of his program.

Clairie said...

So you had a long run in the heat did you? 24-28deg. ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha You've been over there too long you have forgotten what heat is!!!!
Come to Brissy in January and we'll remind you.

17.47 is an excellent result - congratulations on the PB. Seems like your running very well at the moment.

Ewen said...

I'm thinking a wet jumper would be good weight training... didn't Dr JH say he did all his non-track runs with a weighted vest?

Another interesting thing he said, was he wanted to train 'differently' to others, hence the 2 or 3 races on a weekend, 20 mile runs on the track etc. Finding out what works for you is half the secret.

I've seen some Hadd on the web, not that document. Thanks, will have a read - always interested.

Samurai Running said...

"a 1000 yen ($10) all you could eat buffet of quite good Indian/Thai dishes. Hmm..."

I hope you only ate the food with plenty of "life force."