Monday, June 26, 2006

Quick stocktake

Gosh, I am really struggling to find time and, dare I say, motivation, to blog regularly at the moment. My running motivation sort of ebbs and flows on a daily basis and I seem to find myself chronically busy.

I don't have a clear goal of what I am training for, yet I am determined to keep training. I managed to clock up 78 km last week on the strength of a decent hilly run on Saturday and a 27.5 km long run yesterday. It was mercifully cooler yesterday, but I still ended up totally knackered after the run and was trying to do a bit of work in front of the computer in the afternoon but just kept nodding off to sleep!

Persistent niggles and the demands of work and cribbing of time and money by other interests (craft beer!) are also playing havoc with my focus on running. I know it is the start of summer and therefore really the right time to just keep the km ticking over. So I am not really despairing or complaining much at all, just noting the way things are. It is also important to note that I am contemplating whether my autumn goals should be towards running another strong marathon or to have another focus, e.g., the 71-km Hasegawa Cup trail run. One thing against the Hasegawa Cup is just the fact that I would really need to step up the time spent in training, especially spending a lot more time on my feet on Sundays, when the demands of family and work would make this a tough ask. Not to mention that damned creaky old body. Something to stew on for a bit.

Meanwhile, in 30 short minutes the Socceroos will face their moment of truth against the Azzuri. My head says it is a very tall order, that the Italians will have the class to find a way to win, but my heart is not ready to accept it until our lads are two goals in deficit with less than 10 minutes to play. Until then, there is life, and we all know what exists where there is life.

2 comments:

Keren_m said...

A good forecast of how the match turned out. We just were not good enough to beat them last night. The penalty was cruel, but we really should have scored before then. But they did us proud!

Tesso said...

You had better keep on training if you are going to tackle that ultra!